Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Still the champs...

It’s random comment time!

1) Yet another victory for the Kai Badgers tonight in a thrilling, last second victory caused by the fact that I didn’t argue to change our team’s answer on a Russian author question. I still stand by my claim that Chekov is a playwright and not an author, though. Seriously, on the very last question we went from being out of the money to winning it all. Quite a rush and it means that once again I’ll be eating at the Sizzler this weekend. My best answer that helped with the victory: Who was the first runner that Nike signed to a contract?

2) My team’s dominance at the Flea Market is incredible. In all the times that I have played there we have always finished in the money and won all but twice. That just should not happen. The bigger thing is that the games are almost always like tonights in which it always comes down to the final question. Only once did we have it wrapped up before then. It’s rather stunning to think that over 50 questions we are consistently one question smarter than the other teams.

3) And yes, I know that I spent all of last night discussing how horrible it is that my job focuses on trivia. This is just one of the dozen or so internal conflicts that I am currently dealing with. My idea is that I try to learn everything that I can in order to better understand the bigger picture. How being able to quote Family Guy verbatim fits into that is a question I deal with very late at night over copious amounts of alcohol.

4) Oh, the answer is Steve Prefontaine by the way.

5) Lance Bass of N Sync announced that he is gay this afternoon. I for one am stunned that a member of a boy band is gay. I mean, who would think that of someone who is best known for highly choreographed and synchronized dance moves? But, props to the guy for being open about it and for apparently dating Reichen from The Amazing Race. See, everything really does revolve around reality television.

6) Here is my best story from the Lyle Lovett show last night and it had absolutely nothing to do with Lyle. This was an expensive show (with a nineteen piece band you have to charge a lot) so I came in with the assumption that the people there would be into the show. I take my seat, joke with the couple to my left and right at the last moment before the show starts I see the couple who takes the seats to my right. It is a guy with a woman who, and remember, this is coming from me here, looks to be way out of his league. Like a AA guy dating a major leaguer. I take note of it and sit back and enjoy the show. Or as much as I could enjoy because about every ten minutes I could see the woman flip open her cellphone to check the time. Continually throughout the show she had absolutely no interest in what was going on. To the point that they left before the encore. There is a deeper meaning to that story, I’m just not sure what it is just yet other than it might explain why I go to concerts alone most of the time.

No comments: