Monday, July 03, 2006

Life on the dole...

Given the oddly placed holiday I’ve decided to make this a four day weekend and I’ll have to admit, this has given me a nice sense of what unemployment is like. And all in all, it’s pretty cool. I get to hit the bars on a Sunday night, sleep in on a Monday, go shopping in the middle of the afternoon, get in a nice workout at three and then spend the evening watching wrestling. That’s about as full a life as anyone should ever want to leave. If it wasn’t for the fact that I like having health insurance and at some point I do need an income since for some reason beer isn’t free I would start truly slacking. (Whether I am slacking right now is a whole other post altogether.)

Though even with my immense amount of free time I still am not accomplishing any of the things that I set out to do. Sunday was to be clean the apartment day and specifically, organize the home office. Yes, time to put all of my credit card statements in chronological order and store them neatly by card company for no apparent reason. Well, that was the plan on Sunday but instead I cleaned every part of my apartment except for the office. And I actually like putting things in chronological order so it’s not like I considered it a difficult task.

That’s just kind of the way this weekend is going. While out today I forgot to stop by the dry cleaners (even though I drove right past it) to pick up the shirt they forgot to include in my last order. Well, more like they switched my dress shirt with a woman’s jacket and well, I a) don’t like the pattern and b) I just don’t think it would go with any of my skirts. (Jeez, I hope people realize that last bit was a joke.) So I gave them the jacket back and they couldn’t find my shirt for a day but then they did and I completely blanked about it today and now I’ll have to remember to pick it up on Wednesday or they’ll probably just throw it out. I’m telling you, I need to hire an assistant to just deal with this type of stuff.

(And this is from someone who has already outsourced a good portion of his existence. If it’s good enough for a multinational corporation it is good enough for me.)

Oh, and for those of you who are big music fans there is something that you should probably check out. They just released Richard Thompson’s “1000 Years of Popular Music” concert on DVD. It is a recording of the tour that I saw back in ’04 in which Richard literally covers all the various genres of music from the past millennium, starting with an 11th century liturgical and ending with Brittney Spears. If you like music of all kinds and can deal with a show in which you simply have never even heard of three quarters of the songs then it is a very interesting DVD to pick up. There are some great moments in there and to see one of the greatest songwriters cover “Oops I Did It Again” has a rather forbidden thrill to it.

No comments: