Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ribbie and Rhubarb and Leopold and Loeb

Earlier this week I was talking about living in Kansas City versus living in Chicago. Well, there was another event in the news that reminded me why I miss living in Chicago. Benny the Bull, the lovable Chicago Bull mascot (who hangs out with the Luv-a-bulls) was arrested at Taste of Chicago for taking a swing at the cops. And then trying to evade police by disappearing into the crowd in a bright red, fuzzy bull costume. See, you just do not get that type of action in Kansas City. Slugger doesn’t challenge a cop, that Chuck E. Cheese reject that the Chiefs call a mascot never gets taken down by a taser, the Wiz’s mascot, well, who the hell cares about the Wiz anyway.

Incredibly, this is the second Bulls mascot to be arrested in the past year. Da Bull, Benny the Bull’s assistant (and yes, the Bulls require two mascots to keep the crowd occupied), was busted on drug possession charges a few years back. Now that my friends is why I miss Chicago. Even the mascots are hardcore.

Anyway, I’m bummed because we had another second place finish in trivia tonight and there were about a half dozen questions that we had right but screwed up, any of which would have won it for us. Just a lot of second guessing and misspellings that ended up costing us in the end. Still, it was a good time though if I could just remember who the current Royals are (which was one of the categories) we might have won the whole thing. Oh well, apparently I can’t win them all.

Otherwise this was a rather calm day back in the office. There were probably more people back than expected and definitely more people back than the cafeteria staff expected. I love waiting ten minutes to order my food and another ten minutes to pay for it, it makes eating at my desk seem productive by comparison. Still, I actually accomplished real work today, which for the first day back is pretty astounding. It’s like no one should ever be expected to be productive that first day back from vacation. It should just be “Show up, clean out your email, and try not to spend the entire time wishing that you were still out of the office.” That’s pretty much standard operating procedure.

Sorry, but I’m really short on ideas tonight. Tomorrow will be better and there will be a very important announcement as well. You’ll all find out soon enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you like drug addicts and indolent morons, you can have my job in Miami. We've got nothing but people who contribute less to society than a potted plant.

To be fair EC, if the Bull incident would have happened in KC, you would have decried it as a sign that KC was a cultureless wasteland devoid of common sense. You'd make a good spin doctor though.