Thursday, August 04, 2005

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy

(Ok, I know that last week I promised that I was going to post the prologue to my novel. Which was an easy thing to say since I wrote it a year ago and it's sitting on my hard drive right now. All, I need to do is clean it up a little. Thing is, I never quite got around to doing that this week. And reading it over makes me realize that it's not good enough to get posted just yet. So this is going to be a next week deal. I promise.)

Not sure what to write about tonight. Very long and interesting day at work but it all involves things that I don't talk about in the blogsphere. Given that I signed away my patent and intellectual property rights when I joined the company, that is probably a good thing. But it does leave me a little beat and out of topics before I head out tonight. (I'm forcing myself to take a three day weekend. Vacation: a very necessarry evil.)

Anyway, a couple more comments on Elvis Costello. This was one of those shows where I was the youngest person in the audience. I am still at either end of the age scale at most shows. Typically it's I'm the oldest guy in Lawrence and the youngest guy in Kansas City. Plus, this was one of the few shows that I've attended where I actually had an assigned seat and got to sit down for nearly the entire show. I only go to one or two shows a year that are sit down shows and in a way I'm beginning to appreciate them as I get older. I mean, it is still weird to watch a band rock out while I'm leaning back in the eighth row but I guess that's what happen when you get older and there is no mosh pit anymore.

Oh, and the other big news of the week. My fantasy football league held its draft lottery to determine selection order. I am very pleased to announce that Cobra Kai (team motto: there is no mercy in this dojo) will be selecting fourth next month. That was basically where I wanted to be draft wise. I see there being four marquee players and then a drop off so I'm guaranteed to get one of the players that I want. Then on the return trip I should be able to fill out my backfield and either get a top receiver or quarterback. Now all I have to do is complete my ranking simulation and we will be set.

Can't finish the week without a simulation reference. I think I need to stop thinking about numbers for a while. Have a fun weekend everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you say simulation? You need to put on a tight polo and talk about what its like "inside the simulation." Dare I reference... "The Framework"

Anonymous said...

Sweep the leg.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I swore I would never have to look at 'the framework' again. But there it is.

Now let's say I was a company...and let's say Angie was a consumer...maybe Angie's not attracted to me, she doesn't want to buy my services...[voice from the back] "Get her drunk!"

Classic.

I guess the framework did teach me something.