Monday, August 08, 2005

Blog contest

Have to start off tonight with a tip of the hat in remembrance of Peter Jennings, who was the best source for news over the past decade or so. I didn’t grow up watching ABC News (I was raised on Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather) but Peter Jennings knew how to take a story and make it important and meaningful. ABC’s evening news was always serious without being preachy over overbearing. Always had a sense of “This is something you really should know about.” He’ll be missed.

Today was basically what a Monday is all about. Had a lot of things to address at work, ran a few errands after work, and ended up watching part of the Bears game on television. I have to say that the Bears first team defense looked pretty strong out there. I still don’t trust Rex Grossman at quarterback but when your other options are Chad Hutchinson and Jeff George I guess you take what you can get. Still, given that this is one of the few times this year that I’ll actually be able to watch a Bears game (unless I decide to break down and get the NFL ticket package or spend even more of my weekend in a bar) so I might as well enjoy it while I have the chance.

I did start my next cataloguing quest. Based on last week’s discussion I have decided to catalog my literary library into a spreadsheet. I don’t think the random number generator will be as effective here (would you want to find out “The random book you are reading this week is Ulysses”). I’m more interested in finding out just how many books I actually have and finally find out if my collection is as loaded with science fiction as people believe. Watch for the statistical breakdown in the coming days.

Otherwise I have very little to talk about. Given that I have a feeling that this week might be more of the same (lots of time in the office and very little creativity), I’ve decided that in honor of my upcoming 200th post I’ve decided to hold a little contest. It’s simple, you name the topic and I’ll write an entry about it. Doesn’t matter what it is. Challenge me. Make me do actual research. Ask me a question that you’ve been dying to know the answer to such as “What the hell does EC mean, anyway?” and “Why don’t I ever know any of the bands in the five random CD list?” Post them in the comments, send an email, however you want to do it. As always, the best entries are eligible to receive a CD from my collection of their chosing. I provide the database, you make the call.

(For the record, I am nearing the 200th post on the blog and we’ve probably had at least that many comments. For a spur of the moment idea I had last October, this has turned out to be a pretty neat little project.)

No comments: