Monday, August 15, 2005

Out of left field...

Ideas that are as random as life itself…

1) I would like the audience’s opinion on the following matter. Those of you who have seen the spreadsheet I use to catalog my CD collection know that I mark whether or not I’ve seen that artist in concert or not. I’ve always used the rule that you have to see the band in question, though I have allowed that seeing an acoustic set by the lead singer/songwriter counts as seeing the band. (I.E. seeing Martin Zellar acoustic counted as seeing Martin Zellar and the Hardways but didn’t count as seeing the Gear Daddies). The question is: how do I treat Ben Folds? Can I mark off my Ben Folds Five CDs or do we consider the Ben Folds Five a band in the truest sense of the word?

2) On the spreadsheet front, I should have the results of cataloging my book library later this week. Right now it’s looking like the number is somewhere north of four hundred. Combine that with the size of my CD collection and my standard line of “When I’m depressed I buy books and music” doesn’t sound quite as harmless anymore.

3) Found out today that my company has an official font. I have no idea if that is important or not, I’m just wondering how much trouble I could get in for not using it. I mean, it’s a powerpoint presentation. Does the world end if someone has to look at two different fonts in the same day?

4) For those wondering, yes I did program the names of all of the Notre Dame players into NCAA Football 2006. Including backup offensive lineman. I don’t know why, I just had to do it. Part of me is really thinking about programming in the names of all the skill players of ND opponents and maybe the top 25. Obviously, I seem to have a lot of time on my hands right now.

5) Come on, it’s not like there’s anything on television right now. How much preseason football can one person watch? Thanks to Rex Grossman breaking an ankle, the Bears season is over in August. Sigh. One day we’ll have a good team again. It will happen. Don’t know when or where or why but it will happen.

6) I’m beat. Much better content tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

EC,
I'm going to have to say that Ben Folds is not the same as seeing Ben Folds Five. Conversely, I believe seeing Martin Zellar could count as seeing MZ & The Hardways. Reason? Martin Zellar & The Hardways didn't break up. Thus the logic of not counting the Gear Daddies is sound. I'd be like saying you saw Jay Farrar and therefore you've seen Uncle Tupelo. Or worse, seeing Paul McCartney and saying you saw The Beatles. I suppose the ultimate extension of this would be seeing Nathan East at The Granada and then saying you've seen Eric Clapton at Royal Albert Hall.