Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Raise a Ruckus

Just got back from seeing the Old Crow Medicine Show and since I have a full day at the office tomorrow it is time for some incredibly quick hits.

1) Yes, under my guidance Notre Dame lost to Kansas. I was able to defeat Kansas State by a score of 31-0. Hell, I was able to go to the Orange Bowl and beat Miami 35-31. I play at Kansas and they apparently have Barry Sanders at running back, injure three of my starters (including Brady Quinn), and on three occasions my defensive backs tipped the ball right to a Jayhawk receiver. This is called one of EA Sports “There is no way in hell you are winning this game.”

2) At least I found out the name of ND’s backup quarterback. I swore it was Carlyle Holliday. Didn’t he have another decade of eligibility left?

3) Cool, so once I get the girl to complement my purchase I’m good to go. If I can actually turn this sales clerk into my personal shopper (which is something that I’m definitely considering) things might get interesting.

4) I’ve heard about the Aeon Flux movie starring Charlize Therone. (Yes, I misspelled the name but it’s too late in the evening for me to check it on imdb.) On one hand I’m happy because that was such a cool cartoon and now maybe I’ll be able to find out what it was all about. And that is actually my problem with the movie. The best time for Aeon Flux were the Liquid Television episodes in which the unnamed heroine sneaks around a base, kills an unbelievable number of people, never says a word, and dies at the end of every single episode. You never knew what the thing was about but it looked damn cool. Now it’s going to have a plot and stuff, which takes away a lot of the fun.

5) While wandering around Lawrence I came across the following store: Extreme Christian Clothing. Sadly, it was closed when I passed it. Next time I am in town though, you know I am going to spend some time in there. Trust me, I’ll end up posting something that will have ten times as many words as this store has square feet.

6) Every once in a while people try to gain a better understanding of just what it is like to live my life. Tonight’s concert is a very good example. I go to see Old Crow (a great band for those of you who dig bluegrass) and I go by myself because, well, it’s really difficult to convince people to drive an hour to watch a bluegrass band play on a Monday night. But given that I work on a campus with more than ten thousand people one would expect that I could run into somebody from work. Of course I don’t and I think in all the concerts I’ve attended I’ve maybe run into someone from work twice. Instead I ran into A) one of the chefs at Harry’s who I’ve sat around and talked music with on more than one occasion and B) Bill. Bill who recognized and remembered me. All I remember about Bill was that he was dating this girl named Kristen, who I spent two hours talking to one night about music only to find out she was dating some guy named Bill who went to Kansas State. Given that Kristen is still the coolest person I met out here this is probably the cause of my hatred for Kansas State. So I’m talking music with this guy I kinda know and the only conversation topic that I want to bring up (but can’t) is A) are you still seeing Kristen and B) if not, can I have her number. Somehow, I feel that this may be emblematic of my life.

No comments: