Friday, July 22, 2005

Old quotes

(You know it's been a long night when you post after Super's late night comments. Read this last one as it poses the very important question "Are there any women actually reading the blog?" Well, that's the question that is most important to me at least.)

Ok, it is insanely late right now and I have to be at work in, uh, five hours or so but I'll still struggle through a post. Or to be more accurate, I'm going to use other people's words for me. Anyone who knows me is familiar with my tendency to end emails with quotes. I'm a collector of them. Here are some of my favorites from the literary world. Enjoy and have a great weekend everyone.

"Both Maris and I were inveterate quotation collectors, but what did this one mean?" Jonathan Carroll 'Sleeping in Flame'

"Westward the course of empire takes it way" Title of a short story by David Foster Wallace

"Thou hast committed...", "Fornication? But that was in another country. And besides, the wench is dead." Christopher Marlowe

"Well, it's like this... The Carter parents were a quiet and respectable Lancre family who got into a bit of a mix-up when it came to naming their children. First, they had four daughters, who were christened Hope, Chastity, Prudence and Charity, because naming girls after virtues is an ancient and unremarkable tradition. Then their first son was born and out of some misplaced idea about how the naming business was done he was called Anger Carter, followed later by Jealousy Carter, Bestiality Carter, and Covetousness Carter. Life being what it is, Hope turned out to be a depressive, Chastity was enjoying a life of negotiable affection in Ankh-Morpork, Prudence had thirteen children, and Charity expected to get a dollar's change out of seventy-five pence---whereas the boys had grown into amiable, well-tempered men, and Bestiality Carter was, for example, very kind to animals." Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

"A universe where Santa Claus was a good person, not some evil old bastard who sneaked down chimneys once a year to steal all the children's favourite toys." Rob Grant 'Red Dwarf: Backwards'

"Above all, this book is not concerned with Poetry
The subject of it is War, and the pity of War.
The poetry is in the pity.
All a poet can do is warn." Wilfred Owen

"Four be the things I am wiser to know:
Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.
Four be the things I'd be better without:
Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
Three be the things I shall have till I die:
Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye." Dorothy Parker 'Inventory'

"Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smell awful;
You might as well live." Dorothy Parker 'Resume'

"Excuse my dust." Dorothy Parker's Epitath

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." F. Scott Fitzgerald 'The Great Gatsby'

"There are no second acts in American lives." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"I know the story you see. I'm writing it all down for you. So that it will be remembered." Neil Gaiman 'Sandman'

"Flowers gathered in the morning,
Afternoon they blossom on,
Still are withered by the evening:
You can be me when I'm gone." Neil Gaiman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super denounces all of womankind. Theirs is a world based not on logic but on impulsivness and foolishness. I am no longer going to try to understand it, and I am going to to stick with plan A for my 5 year plan (buying a black Porsche 911) rather than plan B (getting married and eventually having kids, saving up to send them to college.)

Dude, guys like us are too good for girls. Females are inherently flawed. I'm convinced. Better to grow old alone than to hitch your wagon to a falling star that turns out to be a piece of debris entering the atmosphere.