Tuesday, July 26, 2005

At least I'm not in Norfolk

It’s that time of year again. Yes, it’s Forbes Magazine’s annual “Top Cities for Singles List”. Think I’m joking, you can check it out at http://www.forbes.com/home/singles/2005/07/25/singles-best-cities_cx_05sing_0725land.html

They’ve ranked the 40 largest cities in the U.S. Number 1: Denver. My old hometown of Chicago? 9th. My adopted hometown of New Orleans? 26th. And my current residence of Kansas City? Wait for it… 38th. Beating out Norfolk and Greensboro. (Oh, and Super, Milwaukee came in a slightly more respectable 32nd.)

My reaction to this news was one of vindication. See, I’ve been telling all of you for months how tough it is to meet people in this town and now I have independent evidence supporting my claim. It’s not that I’m not trying hard enough, it is simply a location based issue. Well, also I could try harder. And lets face it losing a few pounds wouldn’t hurt either but for the most part, I feel entirely justified in blaming the metro area for my dating woes. Well, that and my complete inability to make small talk. And a lack of self-confidence. But other than that it’s Kansas City’s fault.

In more shocking news, Salt Lake City was ranked higher than New Orleans. I must be missing something here. Maybe it’s the altitude but that’s not one that I would’ve predicted. However, I enjoy that one of the quotes in describing the great city of New Orleans is “Everyone here is an alcoholic.” That should go on the Chamber of Commerce brochures. Also, I do feel a need to give my condolences to the people of Greensboro. I don’t even want to know how bad it is there.

Personally, none of this shocks me. It’s more important how you utilize this type of information. No matter where I live, I doubt that I’ll meet people, find that special someone and get married just by showing up. There’s trial and error and mistakes to be made along the way. Lots of mistakes. Huge, incredible mistakes. But that’s the fun part. And while I will agree with Super that women are irrational (otherwise, please explain to me how a woman who can go stride for stride with me in discussing the history of Christian Laettner’s college career can show absolutely no interest in me) I doubt that anyone is truly rational when it comes to relationships. People do things for odd reasons and wrong reasons and reasons that you will never be able to fathom. If you could predict everyone’s behavior using Excel it just wouldn’t be fun. I mean, it would be a really cool spreadsheet but it would take the enjoyment out of life. I’ll take the unknown with no guarantee of success. I always figure that the path is more interesting than the destination.

Oh well, if the relationship scene fails we’ll always have this to fall back on.
http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---26364,00.html

I call red lion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...and I'll form the head" ~ Keith, Black Lion

As any analyst would do, I would like to further examine the methodology. These rankings were determined on an unadjusted basis. I hold that Milwaukee's numbers benefit from a bias in methodology and are artificially inflated. #32 is way too high.

Anonymous said...

I believe I called Green Lion, but I can't remember. I'm going to agree with Super that the ratings seem skewed. San Francisco rated 3rd and according to a friend that lives there, while there is an abundance of single women (something like 3 to 1) they are all so focused on their careers that most aren't looking to date. Likewise, Miami ranked fairly high but I would say that might deserve an asterisk too. You see, I refuse to buy a Nissan Sentra, lower the suspension, tint the windows, put chrome rims on it, a coffee can exhaust and the write something like "Understimated" in script in the back window (the misspelling is not a typo). And since I refuse to do this to my car, I'm just not cool. Too bad for me.