Thursday, July 14, 2005

How do you disguise a robot, anyway?

I’ll be quick tonight since I just got back from my monthly poker night having just gotten my butt handed to me. I just got beat and beat hard. Ninety percent of it was just bad plays on my part: tried to be aggressive when no one was going to buy it, chased hands that I probably shouldn’t have, and screwed up when I had pocket pairs. Just wasn’t my night. Guess I’ll have to run the simulations a couple of more times until I figure out an optimal strategy. That’s my solution to everything: just rerun the model and eventually you’ll figure it out. That probably explains a lot of things.

Ok, I’m cool with the fact that there is going to be a Transformers movie. My bigger concern is which version of Transformers is going to be covered? I mean, are we talking about the classic Optimus Prime and Megatron era or are we talking the Beast Wars version or that awful Transformers: Armada show? Yes, I have brain cells dedicated to this. I can also discuss the romance of Beatrice and Benedict in Much Ado About Nothing so at least I make up for it in other aspects. Back to the subject at hand, there is a possibility that this could be a decent movie. You’ve got robots, rampant destruction, laser blasts, and for some reason the robots will turn into cars at random moments. I’m not sure how that was ever explained. Or why there was such a good/evil dichotomy. You were either an Autobot or a Decepticon. No one played both sides. Life was so much simpler as a kid.

My bigger concern is that Michael Bay is directing it and he is, well, awful. I don’t even want to get into The Island, coming out in a week or two with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannsen. Have you heard about this one? It’s about how in a far off place we build clones of people for spare parts except two of the clones become aware that they are clones and then they escape and try to figure out what is really going on. It’s an interesting plot except for the fact that I saw the exact same plot covered in a movie that was shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000. Yes, a plot that was deemed so horrible that MST3K ripped into it is now your feel good movie of the summer. I guess I’ll add a movie script to my novel and memoir that just has to be written.

That’s it everyone. Have a good weekend. Pick up the Harry Potter book because J.K. Rowling needs even more money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you missed the key line in that article -- "is being transformed into a live-action film" (emphasis added)

There is absolutely no way that is going to be good.

btw - if Transformers: Beast Wars and Armada sickened you, then don't look at the Transformers website. Grimlock, the chromed-out T-rex, is no longer a Dinobot - he now transforms into a Ford Mustang. Megatron no longer transforms into a Walther P-38 pistol with a scope, he transforms into some odd all-terrain vehicle/missile-firing aircraft.

So what are the going to do with Soundwave et al now that no one uses cassette players, much less mini-cassette players? Maybe transform him into a iPod or an XM receiver?

Anonymous said...

As long as we're all whipped up about classic things made crappy for the sake of meager profit...has anyone seen what the new Oompa Loompas look like? God forbid. If kids these days aren't well adjusted, here's part of the problem.