Sunday, July 31, 2005

Nightmare season

Friday night proved one of those undeniable facts about my life, which is that it is meaningless to try to plan anything. See, it was a really long tough week at work and I was just physically and mentally exhausted at the end of it. So here it was Friday night and I’m yawning and thinking “Maybe I’ll just call it an early night.” But I realize that it is Friday night and I owe it to myself to go out for a little bit. Still, no problem, it will be an early night after all.

Well, after stopping at a few places I find myself drinking with the assistant basketball coach from West Virginia, who was in town on a recruiting trip. Given that he was also an ND fan we ended up talking Big East hoops for a good amount of time. Then I ended up running into a guy I know who used to bartend around town. Next thing I know it’s last call. Here’s the thing: if I go out with the thought “Oh man, this is going to be a huge night.” I can guarantee you I’ll be back home by midnight. If I’m dead tired when I go out, I’m there until the lights come back on. I don’t think I’ll ever figure out how that works.

This has been a really quiet weekend. Did a lot of reading and sitting out on my porch and trying not to worry about too many things. That last bit has been an issue because of some recurring dreams that I have been having. (Yes, another dream story. You can fast forward if you like.) For the past few months I have been having this dream in which I have a huge term paper due in Chemistry. Yes, I know that you typically don’t have term papers in Chemistry but that’s not the point. The point is that I’ve been having the same dream for three months and the due date has been getting closer and closer and last week I dreamt that the paper is due tomorrow.

I hate this dream. I’ve been having dreams like this for ages. I wake up and I’m worried as hell until I realize that I have a number of diplomas on the wall and if I had anything still due for a class I doubt that they’d take the diplomas away. But, I know that this dream means that I’m stressing out over other items in my life so I knew that I needed to take things easy this weekend. Like driving around town last night listening to a Frames CD. Sometimes you just need to do things like that, get out of your house and drive somewhere without having any real purpose. Going on walkabouts are cool and enlightening. (Of course, I ended up at a Borders. Wasn’t a transcendental experience but it was nice.)

The five random CDs for the week
1) Blue Rodeo “Tremolo”
2) Freedy Johnston “Never Home”
3) Dave Matthews Band “Remember Two Things”
4) Cat Power “Myra Lee”
5) Uncle Tupelo “Anodyne”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting article

A Calculated Look At Life