Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Afterschool review

Quick hits time

1) Another potential slogan for the back of the inevitable Battling the Current T-shirt: “What if all we really are is dust in the wind?” Because what is better to describe a site filled with reflections on Kansas than the greatest poets of the great plains, Kansas.
2) Or we could go with “Carry on my wayward son” Either would work.
3) Props to Family Guy over the weekend for breaking out a Herculoids reference. I mean, who wouldn’t want to have Gleep (or possibly Gloop) as a babysitter. I saw a great interview with Seth McFarlane that some of their jokes are meant for everyone and others are “Ten percenters” or “1 percenters”, meaning only one percent of the people watching the show are going to get the reference. That was a definite ten percenter but man, every guy my age who spent way too much time watching cartoons was laughing his ass off.
4) Big Brother report. Looks like Ashlea is going to be evicted on Thursday, which is no big loss. I mean, with that name it’s not like you are destined for greatness or anything. It’s a strange show to get addicted to. I mean, you put eighteen people in a house with absolutely no contact with the outside world: no books, no television, no music, and then have them compete for a ton of money. Oh, and there are cameras on them all the time. I think there is only a certain type of person who can be on that show and if this year is typical, that person would be a model. Still, good way to waste an hour every once in a while.
5) While wandering the DVD aisle at Best Buy this evening I did come across one of those brilliant marketing ideas. I might question who exactly is buying the Highway to Heaven DVDs but the genius who has decided to put the ABC Afterschool specials on DVD should get a medal. I don’t know why I find the prospect of watching those so exciting. It’s like a return to a simpler time when the television could lecture you in a way that was both engrossing and camp at the same time. Personally, I’m waiting for the one where Helen Hunt does LSD and jumps off a building (trust me, I’m not making this up.)
6) Plus, they’ve released an Eastenders DVD. This will mean nothing for people who are not addicted to British television. For those of us who are way too familiar with what is shown on the telly, this is the best news since they decided to release all of Red Dwarf on DVD. (If you like science fiction and comedy at all, search out Red Dwarf. It’s off the wall but it is great stuff)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Simpsons has a similar bent to some of their obscure jokes like the '1 percenters' but they refer to it as the Dennis Miller ratio.