Thursday, July 28, 2005

Life amongst the muggles

Like most Thursday nights, I’m sitting here just plum out of things to write about. I have no idea how daily columnists do this. I can think up ideas for a few days but how do you write that last column before the weekend? It’s probably when they just look through their email and find something in there to steal. Sadly, I don’t have that option so I’m just going to try a couple of quick notes and see what happens.

1) Picked up tickets last night to see Sleater-Kinney in a few months. Those of you who have heard of the band are nodding your head and going, “Awesome.” It’s kind of like seeing The Donnas if The Donnas were you know, cool, and uh, good. Anyway, it’s not like I need much of an excuse to go hang out with college kids.
2) Have one very interesting bar story from last week that I’ve completely forgotten to share. So, I come back from Alejandro’s show and it’s like 1:30 in the morning and the bars are still open and I’m wide awake so I head over to Harry’s for a nightcap. Take a seat at the patio bar, joke with the bartender and find that I’m sitting next to a girl who is nursing a martini and reading a couple of pieces of paper very intently. As in she had that look you have on your face when you’re studying for a final. It’s a pretty crowded bar on a Saturday night and I have to admit that it got my attention. So anyway, I start drinking and thinking how in the world can I get this girl’s attention. When she pulled out the crossword puzzle I knew I had my shot. Yes, at two in the morning on a Saturday I was at a bar working on a crossword puzzle with a random (though very cute) girl. You know, even I don’t believe what happens in my life anymore.
3) If anyone has any suggestions on what to do this weekend please let me know. This is the first weekend in a month where there is absolutely nothing on my calendar. Any ideas, challenges or threats would be appreciated. Heck, even recommending a good book or a movie to rent would be cool.
4) For those wondering, I did finish the new Harry Potter book. (What, like I’m supposed to be embarrassed about the fact that I read Harry Potter? As anyone who reads this blog knows, I have no shame.) It started slow (much too slow, an editor would have probably killed the first chapter and looked to rewrite the second) but when it got going it worked really well. It is one of the better books of the series and it did leave me wondering what would happen next. Plus, I really like the way the last few pages of the book turned out, it was just a neat little closure to the story. However, what happened to Neville? Couldn’t we have at least given him a few good lines? Otherwise, definitely worth a pick up if you are a fan of the series, which if you are you’ve already finished it already and are probably wondering if I’m going to give away the big surprise at the end.
5) Something to look forward to next week in this space. I’m gearing up to restart my novel (still tentatively titled My Life as a Sitcom) and I’m pretty close to having the prologue finished. Once it’s done I’ll post it on the site. Consider it a sneak preview for what will one day be written. Probably will take me a year to do the whole story if I can keep my dedication to the project at a high level. But if there is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time it’s write a novel and at some point you just have to try. Should be interesting (and yes, I’m looking to hire an editor. Lord knows I’ll need one. Applications are available upon request.)

Have a great weekend everyone. Keep cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so first of all, I met The Donnas and they were really nice. Tory (the drummer) is hotter in real ife than she is in pictures or on that Target commercial she was in.

Second of all, tell that girl with the crossword puzzle to call me when she can finish the NY Times crossword puzzle in under 9 minutes 28 seconds. Bonus points if she does that during class. If she really needs help, you should make her feel inadequate.