Monday, July 11, 2005

Bored bored bored

We are at what has to be the toughest time for me as a blogger right now. There is just no material to work with. All of the television shows are in reruns (and Big Brother has just gotten started so I can’t even figure out who I like or dislike yet (though Howie seems to be an idiot)). The only movies out are the Hollywood blockbusters and unless you want to read a doctoral thesis on the dysfunctional family archetypes portrayed by the Fantastic Four I really don’t have much to work with there. (However, I’ve always wondered how being able to stretch became this great superpower. How the hell is that supposed to save the city?) We’re even at the worst three days of the sporting calendar since with the All-Star Game tomorrow there are no official games for three days.

On the other hand, Son Volt’s new album and NCAA Football 2006 are both being released tomorrow, which definitely makes the day a little brighter. Plus, there is the new Harry Potter book coming out next week and I’ve already reserved my space in line at midnight and…I think I’ve said a little too much. Yeah, definitely said a little too much.

I guess I am going around and around trying to say that not much is happening right now. I was going to say that things are boring but that really isn’t the case. Lots of things are in progress, it’s just that my life isn’t taking on its usual farcical qualities at the present moment. That is almost certainly a good thing.

I do want to mention an interesting revelation from last week. When I was desperately trying to find something to post last Thursday I was scouring through my writer’s journals, which I have kept somewhat faithfully since 1998. If you ever wonder where some of my old material comes from there you are, with a seven year backlog I have a lot to choose from. What surprised me is that what I was writing about then is a lot like what I write about now. I mean, I read the sentence “At some point I have to realize that I’m about to be twenty five and I really need to become an adult” and I feel really confident that I’ve written the exact same sentence this year except with, yikes, thirty two as the age.

I’m more amazed that I’ve been able to keep up writing on a consistent basis for over seven years (and well more than half a million words) now. It really was meant as a lark to see if I could just force myself to sit down at a computer and write about my life for fifteen minutes a day. Then it became a place to write about my trips to Europe. Then it was meant to be a journal on business school that I could turn into a book but that kind of fell apart. And now it is being spread across the entire globe thanks to the Interweb. Have to admit, it’s been one hell of a journey. Wonder where it will go from here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird. I was just thinking about how super powers became such. Especially the animal derived ones like Batman or Catwoman etc. Do you ever wonder what it'd be like if the rolls were reversed? As in, the world is run by bats and all of a sudden here comes Hugh-man...and all of the bats are like "You mean he uses parts of the electromagnetic spectrum to see?? With his eyes?? And he can do this silently...no need to scream in order to avoid running into a wall? Damn...thats freaky"

I guess its apropos to post this comment under the blog title 'bored, bored, bored' huh?

Why do our brains come up with this stuff anyway? The other night I had a dream that I was at my best friend from 15 years ago's house making buckwheat pancakes while he mowed the lawn. Then he asked me to take his dog to the costume store, dress him like a flying saucer and then drive him to his Halloween party. What the hell is that?

Anonymous said...

One more thing...if you hire an editor I'll pay half. "Roles" vs "Rolls"...I'm a jackass.

Anonymous said...

It'll be OK, there's a new episode of Real World: Austin on MTV tonight.

Anonymous said...

OK, so why is Batman called Batman? What specific powers does he have that makes him bat-like? I mean, at least Spiderman's ability to walk on walls and shoot out webs makes him spider-like. Batman is completely arbitrary; he might as well be Alaskan Sea Otter-man.

Come to think of it, does Batman really have any special powers? If it weren't for all his gadgets/toys and his costume he'd just be some dude who knows karate.

Anonymous said...

Son of Jor-El, kneel before Zod!