Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Quick observations...

Some quick notes from the Gavin Degraw concert that I just returned from (which now wins the award for youngest crowd ever)

1) I'm not sure what is more disturbing: the girls that dress like Lindsey Lohan, the girls that dress like Tara Reid, or the girl who was apparently channeling Ashlee Simpson. Isn't dressing like Ashlee Simpson the equivalent of being in a tribute band to a tribute band?
2) It's not much better on the guy side, as every nineteen year old in KC tries to look like Ashton Kutcher. In a way, I really hope we do evolve back into apes. I don't have much faith in humankind after this.
3) You kind of have to question humanity after watching a crowd cheer the guy in the opening act covering a 4 Non Blondes song. Let's face it, the only 4 Non Blondes song. I mean I'm standing there watching it going, "Is this what my life has come to?" I can't imagine what the guy must be thinking while playing it.
4) I've said this before but every college kid in KC dresses like my buddy Starzan did two years ago out in LA. Pretty much get the sense of how long it takes fashion to disperse to the masses when you look at it that way.
5) Yeah, I know, even I go to Urban Outfitters and pick up the retro t-shirts. But the weird thing is they are retro to my past and I remember that time and we didn't have those shirts. Sure we had some bad, ugly vacation place shirts but there was no irony to it. It's that weird sense of being nostalgic for a time that didn't actually exist.
6) Still probably a better night than watching the USC-Oklahoma game (which had two of my least favorite schools playing). It's almost as if I'm happy that one of the schools lost. And that Auburn will at least be ranked ahead of Oklahoma.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To make the USC-OU game even worse, the halftime show featured American Idol Kelly Clarkson, country singer Trace Adkins, and superstar Ashlee Simpson.

MY first though: since when has Ashlee Simpson attained 'superstar' status? After hearing what Ashlee Simpson's real singing voice sounds like I wished she had lip-synched the show. At least her older sister Jessica can sing, I can't really think of anything that Ashlee can do well. Lindsay Lohan isn't exactly brimming with talent, but at least she looks good. Ashlee looks like Tina Yothers after raiding Courtney Love's wardrobe.

The Gavin DeGraw show I went to was a private show so it was a VH-1 type crowd in an intimate setting. It would have been enjoyable but for the dozen or so teeny-boppers who somehow got and all wore matching homemade "MARRY ME GAVIN" baby tees who would scream anytime he did, well, anything. It made the song "Let's Get It On," which he played in the encore set, seem a little uncomfortable in Roman Polanski kind of way.

Anonymous said...

Edit: first line second paragraph should start with "My first thought..." not "MY first though..."

Anonymous said...

Follow-up on Ashlee Simpson... I found this news item. Hilarious. If you watch the video at the 21-second mark you can distinctly hear someone yell "you suck."


Ashlee Simpson Booed at FedEx Orange Bowl

They say that an elephant
never forgets. And apparently,
neither does the American
public.

Ashlee Simpson was booed
at the conclusion of her
performance during the
halftime show at the FedEx
Orange Bowl between the
Oklahoma Sooners and the
USC Trojans Tuesday night.
To view the video, click here.
[VIDEO MAY TAKE A MINUTE TO LOAD]

Ironically, Simpson chose not to use a background track (used by most artists in large-scale, live events). However, choosing to sing live didn't work out for Ashlee in the end. A very obvious chorus of boos could be heard throughout the Orange Bowl in Miami as the fireworks erupted, and Simpson's song came to an end Tuesday night.

Simpson's vocals were the talk of the town after her 'Milli-Vanilli' antics were exposed on Saturday Night Live in the Fall of 2004. Simson first blamed the incident on her band, only to later use acid reflux as the culprit.

Searches on the syncing serenader jumped 226%, vaulting her into our top three searches overall on Yahoo.com.