Thursday, January 27, 2005

Duke lost?

You know, I knew that when I mentioned Duke and Illinois being undefeated that I would be jinxing one of the teams. Kind of surprised that it was Duke, though. Lost to an undermanned Maryland team at home, which is really not that much of a surprise. Duke is not one of the top teams in the nation. They win games but they have no depth. Illinois’ only concern is the fact that they have no solid inside game. But they might be able to survive without one (actually they have three very serviceable big men, just no superstar).

A couple of random notes as the movie review is seriously not happening upon rereading what I wrote last night. Apparently coffee houses do not bring out the best in my muse.

1) While flipping through saw Queensryche’s “Silent Lucidity” on VH1 Classic. Which reminded me that I missed the opportunity a few weeks ago to see Queensryche in concert. It raises a very important question: Who is actually going to that concert? I mean, Silent Lucidity is their only song. If they opened with it everyone would leave immediately and be perfectly pleased with the concert. I’m not sure how you even bring up the courage to tour when your band has reached that point.
2) Still not as bad as the Eddie Money concert that I saw in high definition once on my cable system. It was the most bizarre thing ever. First of all, there is no real need to see Eddie Money in perfect clarity. But the main thing was the sheer bizarreness of the entire thing. I mean, who sat down one morning and went, “Let’s go to the Eddie Money concert tonight.” And who decided, “You know what, we should film this concert in high def.” And who went “I know what our network is missing, an Eddie Money concert.” Seriously, you would see a camera pan from the crowd to the band and you just got the feeling that everyone is going, “Why am I here again?”
3) I will have to say this, the absolute best trend is music today is the adding of DVDs to a regular CD. If you want to make people stop downloading music, you’re going to have to offer something extra. It was worth it for a quick fifteen minute Damien Rice DVD and it was incredible having an hour and a half Rufus Wainwright concert DVD free with his new disc. A great trend.
4) A note to Super Dave: not only is The Frames “Set List” a great album, it is also the album responsible for having me drive off the road, onto someone’s lawn, and nearly into a tree last summer. So obviously that one gets my highest recommendation.
5) If you have digital cable and get Music Choice, check out the Americana channel. It is the equivalent of putting my entire CD collection in an Ipod and hitting shuffle. For me it’s basically the aural equivalent of crack. Followed closely by walking into my favorite bar and finding out that they’ve set their Ipod to play Uncle Tupelo songs for the next hour and a half. I don’t know how they make money but they sure have my business.

No comments: