Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Housecleaning time...

This will be a pretty quick post tonight. Spent an hour and a half tonight sitting in a coffee house, writing in my notebook like a good little aspiring writer. Of course, on my way home I had to walk past several bars and I couldn't resist the siren's song so apologies in advance for any spelling errors.

Despite my promises, the movie reviews may not actually be posted tomorrow. Here's the problem, after an hour and a half of writing tonight I have five pages of material (with at least another two that I want to write). The fact that it is long doesn't bother me. The problem is that at some point what I am writing about switches over from what I would post to the blog (meaning: information that I feel like I can share with the world) to what would be better served in my writer's journal (meaning: information that is kept between me and Random House publishing since they've already purchased the rights to my biography). Some parts work, others don't and I really want to do a good job in writing about Before Sunset but I don't want to go too deep into why it means so much to me. So, I might post something tomorrow or I might post it next week. Until then, rent the movie if you haven't. Otherwise my post won't make any sense anyway.

(Oh, and for the record this is the first time that I've sat in a coffee house and written since my college days, back when I was really trying to be a beatnik poet. Now I'm more of a hack writer who likes hanging out with a younger crowd. It's a bit of reclaiming my past, admittedly, but at least it beats sitting on my couch and watching tv all night).

Ok, my KC observation for the night. The Missouri state legistlature has just proposed a bill that would place the following restrictions on any business with adult materials. A) A five dollar cover charge to enter the premises (which would be turned over to the government) and B) 20% of gross revenues would immediately be turned over to the government. This would achieve the proposed goals of shutting down all adult businesses in Missouri. Of course, this includes every mom and pop video store in the entire state (whose entire profit comes from the back room). So, it's a stupid law just for the fact that it would force me to go to Blockbuster.

But that's not why I want to write about it. The only reason I know about it is because of my local Fox's channel coverage of it this morning. Where they set up a live shot outside of Ray's Video "Located at 29th and Main". (I knew that, it's across the street from Davey's Uptown). Not only did they do a live shot from the adult bookstore, but they gave its name, and address, and mentioned that it is open 24/7/365, and mentioned it by name a half dozen times in a minute spot. So, the business that is not allowed to advertise on a billboard in the state got a ton of free publicity. They did everything short of mentioning the Two for Tuesdays specials. There is something about that I find incredibly funny.


No comments: