Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Oscar notes

Another one of those seemingly random, bullet point entries

1) First, I need to give a big shout out and congratulations to some of the Oscar nominees. Huge props to Julie Delpy for getting her first nomination as cowriter of the screenplay for Before Sunset (which I will finally post my review of on Thursday). Also, props to Natalie Portman for securing a Best Supporting Actress nod for Closer. See what being at the top of my Perfect Mate list results in? I’m telling you, at some level I am apparently in control of this universe.

2) On Natalie, when reading critics predicting who was going to get a nomination they mentioned that Closer was her first adult role. And since she is playing a stripper that would count as an adult role. But her role in The Professional isn’t an adult role? Even her part in Beautiful Girls had her be wise beyond her years. Come on critics, I don’t think anyone has ever viewed Natalie Portman as a child star.

3) I also have to give a shout out to the dude who played the dumb guy on Wings for snagging a Best Support Actor nod. I really believe that every reference to him should be made as “that dude who played the dumb guy on Wings.” They shouldn’t even show a clip from the movie, it should just be him in his mechanics uniform on the sitcom set.

4) Counting Crows got nominated for best song. This brings up the legitimate possibility that Alfred Hitchcock might not have an Oscar but Adam Duritz does. Talk about a guy who has seriously overachieved in life. Bad dreads overcome a lack of talent, apparently.

5) Saw this headline on IMDB.com today, “Elton John holds a benefit concert for Tsunami victims in Paris.” Man, I knew that it was a massive wave but I didn’t think that it hit France. Syntax people, syntax.

6) While shopping last weekend I came across what has to be the least popular DVD collection ever. An eight volume collection of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Wow, I really want to meet the person that buys that. I mean, do you wake up one morning and go, “You know what my life misses? Every episode of Dr. Quinn!” Or is it just an impulse purchase? “Neat. Dr. Quinn is out on DVD. I’ll plop down eighty bucks for every episode.” Who are these people and are they allowed to vote?

7) I want to write this before the Illinois game tips in about five seconds. I am thrilled that two of the last three undefeated teams in basketball are Duke and Illinois. And pissed off beyond all belief that the other team is Boston College. Somebody beat those guys for my sake.

8) Just go out and buy The Shins “Oh, Inverted World” right now. Leave work if you have to, you cannot go another minute without having this album in your collection. Wow, this is just a killer album. The Past is Pending is the best song I’ve heard all year and this album was released in 2001. It is making me rethink my album of the year list.

9) For the record, here are the recent albums of the year from my point of view: 2004: Tift Merritt “Tambourine”, 2003: Jack Johnson “On and On”, 2002: Wilco “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot”, 2001: Gillian Welch “Time (The Revelator)”

10) Did I mention that Julie Delpy might win an Oscar for writing? And people wonder why I am so madly in love with her…


No comments: