Wednesday, January 08, 2014

New Year's Resolutions: 2014 Edition

As someone who believes in public accountability here are my resolutions for the year for the world (or at least the twenty people and / or robots who seem to read my blog posts) to see.

1)      The Sincerity Project: I’ve already discussed this as it is one of the main reasons for restarting the blog. In essence, my goal is to change from being a cynical bastard to someone who is an actual caring human being. To be honest this has been absolutely brutal to put into practice. I don’t know if it is humanly possible to watch Brent Mussberger announce the BCS title game and not be sarcastic but I am certainly trying. You’ll occasionally catch me stopping myself from saying something and saying “sincerity check” instead. Hopefully I’ll end up a better person for this at the end of the year.
2)      Complete the 13 week advanced level of DDP Yoga: I’ve mentioned it before but I am a huge fan of DDP Yoga. I firmly believe that the best fitness programs are developed by former professional wrestlers as they are clearly medical experts. I’m serious here, I’ve been doing DDP Yoga on and off for the past nine months and the degree that my flexibility and fitness have improved is amazing. I’m in the best shape I have ever been in and my weight is now under 180 pounds, which is thirty pounds less than it was five years ago. I really want to make it through the advanced level and see what the results are.
3)      Keep the blog going all year: Huge challenge but I feel so much better when I write that this is something I need to do. You may see more posts like last night though where I hit a few points and then just end it. I can’t spend an hour staring at a screen trying to figure out what to write any more. Trust me, I really wish I had that much free time again.
4)      Read forty books: I’ve come close the past few years but I typically end up falling short. This year I want to actually break the forty book barrier. As always, my yearly goals of 1) read one classic novel, 2) read something by a female author and 3) read a Shakespeare play still hold and I can say that over the past decade the second point is no longer a challenge. I had too many years where if it wasn’t for Harry Potter I would never have achieved that goal.
5)      Travel someplace new this year: This is a nice way to say that Kim and I need a vacation that is different than ones that we have taken before. We are in a bit of a rut in terms of trips and just need to escape to someplace fresh. Obviously we will still make our trip to New Orleans for the Krewe of Barkus and all of the fun associated with our second home but I particularly need to find myself in a new place.
6)      Reader’s Choice: I’ve done this before and it is always interesting. Place your suggestion in the comments for what my resolution should be and I promise to do it (legality permitting of course). This is how I ended up doing yoga in the first place.
7)      Run a 5K: An easy fitness goal but one I would like to do. After so many years of being scared of doing anything physical due to fear of causing myself harm I want to go back to trying something athletic. Plus, I will now be in the 40+ category so I might actually have a decent chance at placing somewhere in the top 90%.
8)      Take at least five minutes each day to just be: I don’t think that I will ever believe just how lucky I am in life. I’ve achieved so many of my dreams that I feel guilty about it. However, I’ve learned that the man who gets everything that he has ever wanted finds himself pulled in a thousand directions without time to appreciate or be grateful for any of it. If there has been anything that I have lost over these past few years it is that sense of appreciation of just what this world is. I’m hoping that by just making myself to take five minutes in which I turn off everything, avoid the digital noise that surrounds me and just let myself be and think I will be able to improve myself in countless ways. That is the idea behind the Sincerity Project. Modern life forces you to be tired, over-stimulated and cynical. I want to be open, honest and thankful instead.

Wednesday Night Music Club: The best album of 2013 was easily Jason Isbell’s “Southeastern.” It is a haunting and piercing collection of songs that stay with you for days at a time. He is an amazing songwriter and while this album can’t be considered uplifting (it deals with addiction and its aftermath) you will not forget some of what he sings. This song, which closes the album, ends with what might be one of my new mantras in life. “Here with you there is always something to look forward to. My lonely heart beats relatively easy.”


No comments: