Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Just show up...


Wednesday Night Music Club: I am going to be a little shorter than normal tonight as I just got off a plane and have an early morning meeting. Plus, I wanted to mention I am going to have a new rule for the Wednesday Night Music Club in that it will focus on music that has come out over the last year. I think the remainder of the video schedule will be…

Sunday: Best of 120 Minutes (Really good videos from the 80s and 90s alternative scene)
Monday: Remembering the 80s (Really bad videos from the 80s)
Occasional: Songs from the Alt Country Gutter (Whatever catches my interest from my Americana collection)

Anyway, here is a song from Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis album from last year. As has been documented many times on this blog that when I first saw Kelly Willis perform (which was back in 1998 and wow does that make me feel old) I decided that I didn’t just want to buy her records but that I wanted to marry her. Before the encore if at all possible. Well, she married Bruce instead and the two of them became some of my favorite musicians of all time. I’ve seen them many times over the years, talked with them after shows on several occasions and just found them to be incredibly nice and super talented people.

The reason I mention this is that I have been thinking recently about the old Woody Allen line about how 90% of life is just showing up. A lot of people take that to be that almost all of life is just pure luck. I think what it really points out how few people even bother to show up in life. I am a shy, socially awkward type of guy who would go to concerts by himself. But, and this is the big thing, I would just hang out, see really interesting bands that caught my attention and occasionally buy them a beer after shows. Some of them went on to be famous, some were never heard of again but I’ve ended up with all of these stories that would never have happened if I stayed at home living a literally virtual life. I’ve ended up with a pretty amazing life without really having a plan for it and mainly by just being willing to accept whatever happened. I’ve gotten better at showing up (fear still gets to me more than I would like) but I certainly appreciate it more.


Anyway, Bruce and Kelly are awesome and any reason to play one of their songs is a good one. 

No comments: