Monday, January 20, 2014

In the future we shall all have dancing robots

I’ve said all of the following over the past few weeks. I don’t know when I got so old but I doubt that five years ago I ever anticipated myself saying any of the following…

·         You know, purchasing a tuxedo turned out to be a wise financial decision.
·         You have to go with the vest instead of the cummerbund. A cummerbund just screams high school prom.
·         Ok, just let me finish my yoga workout and I will get back to you.
·         Hey, remember back when VH-1 used to show videos?
·         It would be a lot nicer here if they turned the music down.
·         Instead of the vegan option I would prefer to have a steak in which the cow was continually insulted throughout its lifespan. Just so that it always knew who is the boss around here.

(Ok, the last one was more of a failure of the Sincerity Project than a sign of my growing old but it was my best example as to what the polar opposite of what a militant vegan would be. Sometimes having those analogies ready comes in very handy.)

Yes I do want to mention that I own a tuxedo and I really do where it with regularity. Kim often goes to black tie events for work and I get to accompany her as arm candy and I do my best to look dashing. The fact that this is my life stuns me to no end. No kidding, I am wearing a Star Wars t-shirt as I write this but will occasionally dress up like James Bond. Life is a neverending series of adventures, much like The Neverending Story but sadly with fewer Luck Dragons.

Remembering the 80’s Volume Two: Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit”


Wow, so much I could say about this one. Let me run through the highlights…
·         Maybe I was the only one who heard this rumor but I was under the impression as a kid that the reason this song didn’t have any lyrics was because they were so dirty that they couldn’t be aired. Apparently no one ever informed the nine year old version of me about jazz.
·         Seriously, there was a point in time in which a jazz / hip hop fusion piece could become a hit song primarily due to the fact that it had a video featuring relatively simplistic robots. The 80’s were either quaint or avant garde in that respect, take your pick.
·         Also, I really do recall there being a good bit of moral outrage surrounding this video driven by the fact that it features mannequins in lingerie. We’ve advanced in that regard thanks mainly to the groundbreaking films Mannequin and Mannequin 2: On the Move.
·         I will to my dying day remember the robot who gets his head slammed into the cereal bowl over and over again. That is a metaphor for life if I ever saw one.
·         The fact that I have gone my entire life without designing a set of those dancing legs for my personal bemusement is one of my greatest regrets. I think that they would make for a great statement piece for any home.

·         Probably the toughest concert decision of my life was whether to see Herbie Hancock or Fats Domino at Jazz Fest one year. I chose Fats (who put on an amazing set) but part of me wishes I would have seen Herbie even if he was sans robots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually prefer a cummerbund to a waistcoat/vest (as did James Bond, I believe). The modern trend is to go without either.

Colored/patterned cummerbunds and vests scream high school prom.