Wednesday, January 22, 2014

For reasons never fully explained, every song is about how awesome the sun is...

Ok, I am going to be pretty quick tonight as a bit of a work / life driven time crunch has limited my blogging time. However, for those wondering where my priorities lay blogging comes in behind forty minutes of yoga but ahead of finishing the dishes. So I have found inner tranquility that will last until someone notices that I haven’t finished the dishes and that is the one housekeeping job that I am trusted with because I am utterly useless at everything else to the point that even I now wonder how I survived on my own all those years. But I am halfway through week four of the Advanced class of DDP Yoga so I’m not going to complain just yet.

Wednesday Night Music Club: I’m going to keep with my plan of using the Wednesday Night Music Club to continue to talk about music that has been released in the last six months or so. But given that I have really fallen out of the music scene compared to where I was before I am open to any and all suggestions of what I should be listening to at the moment. Once you hit forty you fall out of the target demographic (and the Wal-Mart demographic for that matter) at popular music just goes whizzing by you as you wonder “So is Haim a Corey Haim tribute band?”

Anyway, one of my favorite bands released a new album last fall. The Polyphonic Spree is less a band and more of a cult or at a minimum, three separate bands that were apparently booked to play at the same time and decided to take the stage together. It is the only band that I have seen that has had people playing harp and theremin simultaneously with a nine person choir hanging out in the background. Everyone wears matching robes and Tim Delaughter (formerly of Tripping Daisy for those of you who are also fugitives from Alternative Nation) leads the festivities. For as much of a cynic as I am seeing this band in concert was some of the most fun that I have ever had at a show. It is impossible to leave without feeling happy. I have no idea how these guys even make enough money to tour but if you ever get a chance to see them you really should take it.


No comments: