Thursday, May 23, 2013

Your Superhero Starting Lineup

Ok, I saw a discussion of this on Deadspin today and I figured that I would have to add in my thoughts. The question was if you were going to design your ultimate football team using superheroes who would you use. To make things a little more interesting I will not allow anyone to play both ways.

Offense:
QB: Superman. Pretty basic there. Strong arm, mobile in the pocket, can take a hit and has definite leadership skills.
RB: Flash. Probably will not be my best option for runs up the middle but if I can get him to the outside I don't think anyone is going to catch him. If Flash is not available I will settle for Walter Payton.
FB: The Thing. Has good mobility for a big man and should be great for pass protection. Also should be able to bear down for those short yardage situations.
WR: Spider Man: Fast, agile, great hands and really scrappy. He's the superhero version of Wes Welker.
WR: Nightcrawler: Also seems to appear in the open when needed.
TE: Iron Man: Can block or get into the open field. Very gritty with strong field awareness. May complain due to lack of quality playing time.
Center: Beast. He may not be the biggest or the strongest available but as a doctor he should be smart enough to call out adjustments from the line. That just doesn't seem like it would be one of the Hulk's strengths.
Left Tackle: Thor. I need someone reliable to protect Superman's blind side. Easily fooled though so we may need to keep Thing back for additional blocking support.
Right Tackle: Hercules. I like my offensive lines bookended by gods. Though why gods ended up in comic books is beyond me.
Left Guard: Steel: I think Shaq played him in a movie or something. Maybe it was Cyborg
Right Guard: Cyborg. Or whoever it is in Teen Titans, I was never really a DC comics guy.

Defense: (I'm going to use a 4 - 3) for a reason that will become apparent.
Defensive Tackles: Hulk and Wolverine. That should take care of any plays up the middle though I worry that Hulk is going to be susceptible to being drawn offside due to a hard snap count.
Defensive Ends: Captain Marvel (DC Comics version) and Colossus. One should give me more of a speed rush while the other adds some additional bulk.
Middle Linebacker: Captain America. My defensive leader. I just see him being Brian Urlacher back there, calling out the defensives and always making the tackle.
Strong Side Linebacker: Batman. Hits hard, makes the tough decisions and is willing to play through pain.
Weak Side Linebacker: Robin. We'll have to hope that most plays are run to the strong side.
Cornerback: Mister Fantastic. Slightly more arrogant than Deion Sanders, slow as hell, but always seems to be able to get a hand in to break up the pass.
Cornerback: Green Lantern. Will be benched if we play a team whose uniform features the color yellow. That is still the most inane weakness I have ever seen in a superhero.
Strong Safety: Daredevil. Plays without fear.
Free Safety: Jean Grey. She seems to have an amazing ability to read the opposing quarterback's mind.

Special Teams:
Kicker: Morten Andersen
Punter: Ray Guy
Return Speciialist: Devin Hester

Agree or disagree?

No comments: