Thursday, May 16, 2013

Anyone want a nude portrait of Bea Arthur?

Look, it was late, I had been drinking and the eBay auction was enticing. And besides, who wouldn't want to have a nude portrait of their favorite Golden Girl hanging on their wall.


I'm not kidding about this. Ok, I'm kidding about actually purchasing this but this painting does exist and was sold at Christie's this week for, and I swear to God I am not making this up, $1.9 million. I am trying to think of what part of this is more disturbing. There is the sheer fact that this exists of course but there is also the fact that someone was willing to pay $1.9 million for it. Not only that but since this was an auction it meant that someone else thought that it was worth $1.8 million and there had to be a handful of people willing to pay $1.5 million. At what point do you go "I sure want a nude painting of the star of Maude and am willing to go to $1.8 million for it but not a penny more?" When you are willing to buy something like this when do you just say "This is a rather silly use of my money?" That and how much would you pay for one of Betty White. Or all four Golden Girls playing strip poker alongside a group of smoking dogs.

(I apologize for that last image. And request royalties from whoever paints it and puts it up for sale.)

(Oh and obviously I haven't posted the full image. It's online if you need it. I shouldn't need to add Not Safe For Work but having seen it I should probably state that it is Not Safe For Life.)

But let's give credit where credit is due. For a show that is not probably twenty five years old you can make a Golden Girls reference and people will still get it. Sure, there is the benefit that Betty White is a comedy legend and Bea Arthur was, well, Maude, and Estelle Getty was in Stop or My Mom Will Shoot but is that a reason for us all to remember fondly a show regarding four older women living in Florida? Hell, how many sitcoms from five years ago could you recall. Remember Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place? Of course not. That show was awful. But we will always remember Golden Girls. It will never be considered the high point of comedy but it made an impact and that is an achievement on to itself.


No comments: