Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Ten things that makes me feel old...

1) The fact that we have apparently decided to eliminate the letter e from our language. Tumblr was purchased this week. People still use Flickr. Is it that beneficial for us to drop one letter from words.

2) Text speak in general. Look, I understand that it can be difficult to know when to use to and when to use too. Using 2 as a cutting the Gordian Knot approach to the problem is not an adequate solution.

3) The fact that I was listening to a story on the radio about a teacher having her students write letters and discovering that none of her students knew how to write a letter thus meaning that I might be the last person to try to keep a long distance relationship alive through the mail.

4) Most college graduates this year were born after I started college. There isn't a single pop culture reference from my youth that would be relevant to a college graduate except in a strange reboot sort of way. Like they would know Optimus Prime from the movies and not from the cartoon show or even the original cartoon movie.

5) I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. All my music is now through iTunes and I fought forever (up to and including owning a Zune) to keep that from happening. Add the fact that even I don't have a way to play tapes anymore I now have no connection with the way I had purchased music throughout my entire life.

6) When Mozart was my age he had been dead for four years. F. Scott Fitzgerald only had four years left.

7) A kid today will never understand a disconnected life. Where directions involved looking at maps, meeting somewhere required plans and you didn't have all of the information in the world sitting in your pocket. They won't understand silence or being separate from anyone or even just the freedom from the world of YouTube comments. They will never have the ability to escape that of the lowest common denominator.

8) I have a t-shirt that celebrates Duke winning the national championship in 1991. Which means that I have shirts that are older than college graduates. Shirts.

9) Music I actually like is now played on classic rock stations. The alternative has now become classic rock.

10) I remember watching the first episode of the Simpsons. 24 seasons ago. I've been watching the Simpsons as long as a very lazy college student has been alive.

No comments: