Sunday, May 26, 2013

Celebrating the holiday by turning left....

Here is a change that happens when you get married, or just find yourself in a relationship in general. A few years back I made it a tradition of live blogging the Indy 500. This basically meant sitting in my apartment alone, typically hungover from the night before, and while watching the race I would write down my thoughts and typically a few really bad Danica Patrick jokes. (You know, she doesn't have to continually keep her left blinker on the entire race.) Last night, seeing that the Monaco Grand Prix was going to be broadcast live on NBC I realized I could spend the entire day watching Monaco, Indy and the Coca Cola 600 and just write about sitting on the couch and watching auto racing all day. Then I remembered that I am married and would like to remain so. Thus, I've just watched parts here and there while doing gardening and other things. Still, here are my thoughts.

1) I really expected a better finish by Tony Stark at Monaco this year. You would think that he would have been able to modify his strategy to address potential attacks by Whiplash but apparently he is still susceptible to attacks by an unkempt Mickey Rourke.

2) I was lucky that Monaco was delayed by a crash so I actually got to watch the end of the race live. It is an amazing race to watch just because of the sheer insanity of it. Cars running on incredibly narrow, continuing twisting city streets and several tunnels. It is a video game level come to life.

3) There are three songs you need to hear every May. My Old Kentucky Home, played before the Derby, Maryland my Maryland, played in front of a crowd suffering from acute alcohol poisoning at the Preakness, and the undying zombie that is Jim Nabors belting out Back Home Again in Inidana.

4) Really happy that Tony Kanaan won Indy. I've watched the race for 30 plus years now and over the last ten years or so he has done everything except win the race. At least once he was in first place when the race was stopped for rain and would have won if it kept raining. Other times he just got caught in wrecks that weren't his fault. He always seemed like a nice guy and someone who everyone in racing liked. Awesome.

5) And as always, congrats to the Indiana Dairy Board for the most bizarre tradition in sports. You've just spent three hours in a car, wrapped in a safety suit to prevent you from catching fire and what do you do when you are finally done? Have a sip of warm milk.

6) The NASCAR race is still going on but we already have our story of the night. A cable on the Fox Sports Sky Cam broke, fell on the track, was run over by several cars, damaging those cars and injuring fans. Fox Sports, were just like Fox News except with slightly more injuries.

Sunday Night Music Club: Please remember what tomorrow is truly about. If there is any song I can think of that expresses the way is this one by Jason Isbell. Remember those that didn't come home and help those that did.

No comments: