Monday, September 25, 2006

Topic-palooza

A few weeks ago I was really wondering what the future of this blog was going to be. Anyone who has read it consistently probably got the sense that I wasn’t really having fun writing and was completely out of topics. That’s all changed over the past week or so and I now have post it notes plastered around my computer of topics I need to write about. Here are a couple…

Topic #1: I believe that I have had the most insane fantasy football season imaginable and it is only week 3. I lost my first game by less than a point. For week two I won on a tiebreaker (yes, we had a tie in fantasy football, which is almost mathematically impossible). And yesterday I won by 0.3 points. So I’m 2-1 and could just as easily be 3-0 or 0-3. It’s like my entire season has been one big coin toss.

Adding to that is the fact that being in any way associated with my team is a guaranteed trip to the injured reserve. My number one pick Shaun Alexander? Broken foot and out for four to six weeks. My backup QB in Trent Green? Nearly decapitated in a week one hit. Hell, while Joey Galloway technically didn’t get hurt his inability to get open caused Chris Simms to rupture his spleen. It’s nice to know that Chris is fine after having his spleen removed, I just hope that while the doctors were working on him they implanted a spine as well. So with Shaun out and Galloway without a QB to throw to him my season rests on Julius Jones and Chester Taylor. And as a rule, you should never have money riding on an adult who still goes by the name Chester.

Topic #2: I had what might be one of the weirdest moments of my life on Saturday (and I was sober for this one). During the afternoon I went out to run some errands and when I came back to my apartment there was something sitting directly in front of my door. A perfect placement right where my doormat would be if I ever decided to buy a doormat. I looked down and saw a) a package of candy wrapped up with a nice little bow and b) a container holding a piece of cake.

To say that this left me quite perplexed doesn’t do justice to the word perplexed.

See, almost no one knows where I live. Well, a lot of people know the rough area where I live but almost no one knows which amongst a slew of identical apartments is actually mine. So when I looked down at this seemingly festive offering I decided that one of the following must be true: A) I have a secret admirer, B) I have a personal stalker or C) Someone is trying to poison me by leaving food at my doorstep. Personally, I’m going for option B just because it gives my life that sense of danger that it is sorely lacking. Sure, there is the other option (the Occam’s razor choice) that states that someone got the apartments mixed up but I’d like to believe that my life is filled with intrigue.

But yeah, never expect to find food left on my doorstep with no note whatsoever. Just freaky.

Topic #3: Here is the best news that I got over the weekend (besides Illinois covering the spread). Damien Rice will be releasing a new album before the end of the year. Plus, The Frames will be releasing a new disc in Ireland tomorrow and it will be released in the U.S. next spring. Or for people like me it means that I can special order the disc from Ireland and have it shipped at incredible expense just because I don’t want to wait six months for songs I’ve never even heard. That’s how much I like those guys.

Still, this is great news as it has been a pretty poor year for music. That’s why I decided that Beth Orton has the album of the year even though it really isn’t that great of an album. I just haven’t heard much that is better. I really am looking forward to hearing some good new music. Plus, new albums mean U.S. tours and maybe I’ll finally be able to take that week off and tour with the band.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On a related upcoming album note and since the author of this blog and many of its readers are familar with the music of Maggie Walters; Maggie will be going into the studio on Oct 14th to record her second album. Once again she has put together a pretty talented crew (especially if you're a music geek) to help her make this one. The album will be released in March 2007 with a tour to follow. So Spring 2007 should be a good season for good music.