Thursday, July 15, 2010

Resolution Review Part Deux

Let’s see how I’m doing on the second half of my New Year’s Resolutions

Resolution # 6: Learn to cook to the point that I could make dinner for Kim: I can’t really say that I’ve made progress on this one. Yes, I am cooking better for myself and what I am eating is in fact healthier but I still haven’t done anything that could be considered making a meal from scratch. That is kind of the point of this one; to take multiple ingredients and make an actual meal out of them. I am getting more comfortable in the kitchen and have learned that when it says “cook for 3 minutes” you don’t have to sit there with a stopwatch but I really do need to take a recipe one weekend and see if I can actually make it. What is the worst that could happen?

Resolution # 7: Reader’s Choice: I believe that this one turned out to be take up swimming as part of my workout routine. This could tie into a slightly bigger challenge of my learning to swim. Well, see, that is not entirely true. I do know how to swim. If you dropped me in a pool and asked me to swim laps I could do that. I’d even survive swimming in the deep end. The thing is that if you asked me to swim to the bottom of the deep end, touch the bottom, and come back up I’d say “hell no.” Doing the swimming underwater bit is something I never really learned. So that is something I need to learn especially given that Kim loves swimming and grew up near the water.

Resolution # 8: Have 100 people read the blog in one day: Ugh. Maybe I’ve hit 30 readers in a day this year but probably not more than that. It is what happens when you stop writing on a regular schedule and have the quality drop a bit. I’m going to try to get back into the habit, I swear, and I hope that I can figure out what my topics should be now. As someone once told me I am my best as a writer when I am bitter and cynical and depressed. That made for basically five great years of blog material. Sadly the fact that I am happy now makes my writing suffer. I’ll figure out the fix for that soon; one that hopefully does not involve my becoming unhappy.

(By the way, after I finish the jigsaw puzzle I think my next big project will be putting together my best of the blog book that I have been promising for a few years now. I’ve finally figured out how I would do it and while it would take a couple of months I might be able to finish it by the end of the year.)

Resolution # 9: Expand my musical tastes: Hasn’t really happened unless you count listening to Jason Isbell’s solo work in addition to his time with the Drive-By Truckers. I’m a little disenchanted with the whole music biz right now. I’m not even sure where to learn about new music now as my two old methods (going to concerts and reading music mags) don’t really correspond with my current life. Then there is the whole fact that I am now older than that 18 – 34 target market. I’m not supposed to be an Of Montreal fan. To be honest I’m not even sure if there is a band called Of Montreal. It sucks being uncool especially when for one brief, shining moment you actually were cool.

Resolution # 10: Prepare to be the best husband that I can be: I am going to be completely honest here; I sucked at this at the beginning of the year. You know the old story about how a dog chases a car and what would happen if the dog ever caught the car? That is the best analogy that I can think of. After years searching for the woman of my dreams I finally found her and she said yes and my reaction was “Oh thank God, I can finally stop running now.” I didn’t realize that the car would keep on moving. So I screwed up more than a few times to a greater degree than I ever imagined possible.

But, as Kim and I have said, it is better that I screw up like this before we get married than after the fact. And I have worked hard at becoming the best that I can possibly be and to address some of my mistakes and understand what it will be to be a married couple. It’s sad to use the word maturing when you are about to turn 37 but that is exactly what I’ve been doing. Next June we will be married and I really wish that day would hurry up and get here because there is nothing that I want to do more than to see her on that day.

No comments: