Sunday, July 11, 2010

Maybe I should just stop cheering for teams in orange...

I don’t know which is sadder: a) the fact that I lost money on the Dutch this afternoon, b) the fact that I fell asleep during the first half and thus missed like 17 yellow cards and a Spanish guy getting dropkicked in the chest or c) the fact that I will have no reason to write about soccer for the next four years. Well, technically I could turn this into a blog for the Philadelphia Union except that I would a) have to explain the city’s surprising pro-labor stance and b) create the blog’s new mascot “Sal the Surly Teamster.”

(Actually, the saddest fact from today is that I taped tonight’s episode of Big Brother so that I can watch it later. Yes, it is that time of year again when we get to watch wannabe models attempt to use strategy and cunning. Or, more likely, utilize racial slurs while not understanding that they are constantly being taped.)

Been a rather quiet weekend for me. I was actually home all weekend for once, which is an incredible change of pace. That is just kind of the nature of my life at the moment as I never seem to find myself in one place for a significant period of time. At certain points it can be fun. I like travelling and now know the ins and outs of many major airports including where the best power outlets are, how to score free drinks from fellow passengers and under what circumstances it is acceptable to pay $1.50 for a candy bar. But on some weekends I just want to stay home, watch some television, and fall asleep on the couch. This was one of those weekends.

The other odd thing is more of that change in my life from where I was two years ago. It is really stunning when you think about it. Two years ago I would never have gone an entire weekend without stepping foot into a bar at some point. In reality, I probably would have gone to two or three over the course of the weekends; places where everyone on staff and many of the patrons would know me on sight. Right now I can’t remember the last time I went to a bar out here in Delaware. I can barely remember the last time I went out to eat here and had a beer with dinner. The pace of my life has completely changed.

Part of this is obviously due to my being with Kim and being engaged and all that. Part of the reason behind going to bars (i.e. meeting people and possibly by pure random chance end up talking to someone I could theoretically date if twenty seven different variables turned my way) is no longer valid. But the main reason is that I have really started to feel the years catch up to me. The thought of closing a bar at three in the morning is no longer as exciting as it once was. I would be tired for a week trying to catch up on my sleep. Part of me misses that experience but I will take the life that I have right now, thank you very much.

Best of 120 Minutes: I love videos that feature people who aren’t in the band more than the band themselves. Or maybe Katherine Hanna decided to join Sonic Youth for the day. Who knows.



The five random CDs for the week:
1) Ben Folds Five “Whatever and Ever Amen”
2) Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova “The Swell Season”
3) Jay Farrar “ThirdShiftGrottoSlack”
4) Richard Buckner “Meadow”
5) U2 “Live at Notre Dame”

1 comment:

Dennis Joyce said...

4 years? Dude Euro 2012 Poland/Ukraine plus Real Madrid starts up in like two months.