Tuesday, July 13, 2010

And he gave us Seinfeld....

In honor of his passing here is my favorite personal George Steinbrenner story. I think that the only time I ever saw the Yankees play may have been the first game I ever saw. I couldn’t have been more than four or five at the time when we went to Commiskey Park to see the Chet Lemon led White Sox take on the Yankees. I’m pretty sure this was a Cub Scout outing and I was the tagalong little brother. Anyway, none of that matters other than being five at Commiskey was an experience in itself as you learned quickly that baseball was synonymous with smoking, heavy drinking and Andy the Clown.

This was when Reggie Jackson was with the Yankees and he was in the midst of a huge contract dispute with Steinbrenner. And it is amazing to think that what Reggie was asking for in today’s terms wouldn’t even get you a crappy utility infielder. Anyway, the White Sox fans in their infinite wisdom would, when Reggie took the field in right, throw money at him. Along with probably a few Reggie bars. And what would Reggie do when the inning was over? He’d go over to the warning track, collect the money, and wave at the fans. So I have George’s stingiest to thank for that memory. Worth all the years of having to hate the Yankees when you think about it.

No post yesterday I know and I have no excuse other than I fell asleep. I am doing that more and more often now that I think about it. I was in my bedroom changing last night at 9, put my head down, and before I knew it I was out like a light only to wake up and wonder what day it is. Couldn’t really bring myself to write after that given that I assume that nothing that I would have written would have made a lick of sense.

What is strange is that it is not like I am not getting enough sleep each night. Maybe I can’t live on seven hours of sleep anymore but like I wrote earlier; it’s not like I’m staying up to three in the morning on a regular basis. You’d think that with my new workout schedule that I would have even more energy but it seems that the opposite is the case. Maybe I am just growing old. Yeah, I’ll just blame it on the ravages of time.

Pretty much the only other news is that Mel Gibson is officially insane. Actually most of us had known that for a while now but he at least had the presence of mind to record it on several different occasions just so that we would have incontrovertible proof of our findings. I guess that we should just consider his career to be officially done right now. Well, maybe he could make a comeback in a few years at least as a director (hell, Polanski is still allowed to work though now he must stay in Switzerland for the rest of his life.) His acting career is now below that of Tom Cruise who really doesn’t have one anymore. Amazing to think that in a few years both of these guys have gone from leading men to weirdos in the supermarket tabloids.

No comments: