Sunday, January 31, 2010

Finding the missing piece

Here is a good indication of the life I lead now that I am in my later 30’s, especially when I’m not with Kim. I spent my Saturday night alone in my apartment drinking beer, watching old episodes of Mythbusters and putting together a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle. That was my entire Saturday night and given the entertainment options available to me on a Saturday night in January in Wilmington, Delaware I think I made the right choice.

For those wondering it took me slightly under 24 hours to singlehandedly finish the jigsaw puzzle. I would have worked faster except that a) beer and Mythbusters really plays with your focus and b) this puzzle had much too much sky. Nothing is more painful than trying to piece together the sky.

This is a good first step on my goal of completing a 3,000 piece puzzle by myself as I was able to notice a few issues with myself. First off, like everyone else on the planet I now have no attention span. I swear to God, after about fifteen minutes of work I was wondering why I hadn’t finished yet. I had completely forgotten how much patience and restraint one must have when working on one of these. The desire to just quit is really strong but I am glad I stuck with it. Once I got going though it became an awful lot of fun and it is nice to see that I completed something this weekend. Next one will be a 1,500 piece puzzle and then I will move on to the real challenge.

Switching gears I will give credit where credit is due and voice my approval for Obama having an hour long question and answer session with the House Republicans and having it all recorded. It was the closest I have ever seen to Question Time in British Parliament where everyone has a chance to essentially yell at the Prime Minister who then has to answer the charges on the fly. When Obama campaigned on change this is one of the things that I was hoping for. This still doesn’t mean that his policies are working or that his focus on health care was completely flawed but at least it is a move in the right direction.

Otherwise there just isn’t much to write about tonight. It’s not like I have a stunning take on the Pro Bowl to discuss. We are entering that dead period in media and culture and sports where football is over, the Oscars are still a month or so away and it is just too damn cold out to go out and do anything. On the plus side this is an Olympic year so in a few weeks I will be able to spend every evening watching curling. Don’t know why but once you start watching you really can’t stop. Plus there is the biathlon and I like any sport that involves skiing really long distances and then firing a gun for no apparent reason.

Best of 120 Minutes: The Spin Doctors may have been the most cursed band in the history of music. I know of no other band that was so derailed by their own popularity. Let me explain. I remember picking up this cassette right before the start of the school year and going, “Wow, there are three amazing songs on here.” I distinctly remember telling guys in my dorm the first week of the semester to watch out for these guys because they were going to be huge. And they were as all three songs started being played on the radio. And played again and again and again. Seemingly every other song that was played was “Two Princes.” By the end of the school year everyone, and I mean everyone, hated the band. They were just completely played out.

The thing is, the band did nothing to get people to hate them. People hated them because the songs that they liked had become so played out they were forced to hate the band by proxy. Listening to their stuff for the first time in like fifteen years you realize that it wasn’t that bad. They probably didn’t deserve our scorn.



The five random CDs for the week:
1) Scott Miller and the Commonwealth “Reconstruction”
2) Patty Griffin “Flaming Red”
3) Whiskeytown “Pneumonia”
4) Golden Smog “Blood on the Slacks”
5) Black 47 “Black 47”

No comments: