Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Will Charlie Junior still get to wear a headset at Arrowhead?

Reason #537 Why I am glad that I no longer live in Kansas City: Charlie Weis is going to be named offensive coordinator of the Chiefs. Well, at least they got the offensive portion right. I don’t think there is enough barbecue in Kansas City to please that man. Plus, at least we now know who is going to be drafting Jimmy Claussen.

Some interesting comments on the resolutions post and one that I want to touch on. I’ve never even thought that it was an option for me to stop improving. Getting married makes me want to be better as there is now someone else in the picture. One of the many things I love about Kim is that she makes me want to be the best person that I could possibly be. I always kind of thought that was the point of relationships: to become better as a couple than you were as individuals.

That said, it is just part of my personality that I must always try to accomplish something. It bothers me that there are books that I haven’t read or skills that I don’t have. I consider myself lucky in that my pursuits have always been intellectual over the athletic. If my life was basketball I would be at the point where every year I would be getting slightly worse at the game I love. Instead I think that my best years are ahead of me. There are so many opportunities out there and so many Shakespeare plays to read and novels to write.

On that note, I am searching for my next January challenge book, which will also be the first book read on my brand new Kindle, and I am opening it up for suggestions. The idea of the challenge book is that in January I read one of the classics (best defined as a book that has Cliff Notes written for it) for the enlightenment, the challenge and the fact that it is too cold to do anything outside so I might as well stay in and read. List some of your favorites in the comments. I’ll probably post the list of books I read in 2009 tomorrow as well as some synopsis. I’ve been keeping track of every book that I have read since 1998 and, wow, that is an awful lot of my life that has been catalogued.

Last bit, congrats to Andre Dawson for making the Hall of Fame. As a kid Andre was my absolute favorite baseball player. Not when he was with the Cubs though. I was a fan from back in the Expos days even getting my parents to take me to a Cubs – Expos game just to see him play. He was just a top of the line outfielder in the field and at the plate and while some of his numbers aren’t as strong when compared to the steroid era he certainly belongs in the Hall. For once they’ve made a good choice.

11th Best Album of the Decade: The Polyphonic Spree “Together We’re Heavy” (2004): In a perfect world The Polyphonic Spree would be the band for my wedding. That said if I had my way we would march down the aisle through an honor guard of Imperial Stormtroopers so I doubt that I will be placed in charge of wedding planning. Still, this is one of the first in a theme on the Top 15 list, which is the band that breaks all the rules. You aren’t supposed to have a twenty plus member band featuring a nine person choir and a harpist. You can’t take the stage in multi-colored choir robes looking like a bizarre cult. You can’t have all your songs about how awesome the sun is. But that is The Polyphonic Spree and I love them for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

word on the street is that Pioli is telling Romeo Crennel that he wants to get the band back together. go Kansas City Patriots!

Rug said...

Well deserved honor for The Hawk. Hard to believe it has been 20 years since he played for my Cubbies.

His stats were borderline, but even a novice fan could watch him and tell he was special, and that counts for something in my book.