Monday, October 05, 2009

I'm sure they meant well

From the category “Well meaning endeavors that can really be misinterpreted” I would like to give props to the NFL for honoring Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Or, as Chris Berman said on ESPN on Sunday “Breast Awareness Month.” Also, while it is in some ways touching that the players are wearing pink sweatbands and gloves along with baseball caps tinged with pink it should be noted that no NFL team uniform colors were chosen under the idea that they would go very well with pink. Finally, while I again support the Vikings cheerleaders in their choice to wear hot pink tops the fact that we are raising breast cancer awareness by focusing on body parts that are ninety percent plastic is a little concerning.

(Basically what I am saying here is I am very happy that the NFL is raising money for cancer research but this seems a little heavy handed and misplaced.)

Saw a commercial for what has to be one of the most disturbing products ever over the weekend. It was a cupcake mold. We’re not talking your typical cupcake mold here. We are talking one that appeared to be the size of my Castle Greyskull playset that I had as a kid. For all I know the cupcake mold comes with a drawbridge, elevator and trap door. This thing is massive. The announcer talked about how sweet it would be to make cupcakes for all of your friends without mentioning that besides giving them a delectable treat you would probably be giving them diabetes as well. It is one of those times where you turn away from the TV and go “and I wonder why half the country is obese.”

Also, is it strange for me to think that the coolest aspect of the new Wii Fit Plus is that you can weigh your dog and thus have your dog as a character in the game? I don’t even have a dog but I am going to make one up just so that I can have a virtual pet. I mean, it is not like I would ever be trusted with an actual living creature. I wouldn’t even trust me with a plant.

Not much else to write about tonight. I seem to be spending much of my life in airports and it only appears to be getting worse over the next month or so. Not that I don’t mind getting out of Delaware; it is a treat to get out especially to see the woman of my dreams. Just that airports and planes always seem to suck the life out of me and I always end up feeling like I have some sort of cold. Hopefully a good night’s sleep will do the trick.

No comments: