Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cohesive topics are not my specialty

First off, I have to say that I quite disagree with the argument that Leonard dating Penny is even more unlikely than Raj not being able to talk to women based on one simple point: I am dating the woman of my dreams. How can we consider that to be an unlikely occurrence that a science obsessed guy could be with a pretty girl? I got the girl so why can’t others?

(Clarifications: In the previous sentence “got” in no way implies a sense of ownership in the way guys in Ed Hardy t-shirts will talk about “my girl” in roughly the same tone of voice as they refer to “my car” or “my Ed Hardy t-shirt.” Also, “girl” is used as a colloquialism here as Kim is an intelligent and sophisticated woman, which in many ways makes the Penny analogy slightly suspect. “The” is rather self-explanatory and “I” refers to me. Hope that helps.)

(Also, just for those wondering, Kim and I are celebrating our eight month anniversary; yes, our first date was on Valentine’s Day. As Kim eloquently put it, this marks my longest relationship by, oh, roughly seven months. And you know what, for eight months I have been completely unable to get the smile off of my face.)

Switching gears so fast that I probably just blew out a transmission I must officially offer my condolences to the wrestling world on the passing of the legendary Captain Lou Albano. Best known for his penchant for rubber bands (around his beard, pierced through his cheek), presence in Cyndi Lauper videos and starring role as Mario on the Super Mario Brothers cartoon show the Captain passed away today at the age of 76. The manager of champions will be well remembered for all of the tag teams that he led to glory; the majority of which were Samoans as for some reason the WWF tag champs in the seventies were always Samoan. The mystery as to who officially anointed him with the title “Captain” has never been answered. I always assumed that it was nautical in nature.

Other news of the day was the Dow breaking 10,000. This was met with cheers by those of us on the Trade Floor. I’m not making that up; you actually heard a round of applause when we saw five digits for the first time in a year. Now as most people know financially speaking the fact that the Dow broke 10K is meaningless but from a psychological perspective it is very important. Given that at time psychology is more important than economics in understanding the stock market it is something to pay attention to. Basically, it is a sign that the market believes that it has some strength and that there is hope for the future.

The problem is I really have an issue with it. This just does not feel like a 10,000 Dow market to me. We have no job growth and while they say tech and banking is leading the way back I’m just not entirely sold on the fact that the growth is really there. With a jobless recovery I’d feel more confident in the 9,000 range. What I really think is happening is that the dollar is so weak (1.49 to the Euro) that the markets are higher due to the devalued currency. That worries me even more. Still, I was on the record for saying that we wouldn’t see 10,000 until next year at the earliest so take it as a good sign. I hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed Hardy t-shirt wearing guys have an odd sense of possession. They refer to each other bro-mantically as 'my guy' or 'my dude,' they may refer to a showboating NFL wide reciever or an MMA fighter on TV as 'my guy' despite not ever actually having met the person. Sometimes when they claim posession of objects you are unsure if they mean the actual object in their hand ("this is my drink - jager and red bull") or if they mean it categorically ("yo you're wearing my cologne dog")