Thursday, October 08, 2009

Get fit and have "fun" doing it

Time for part two in my epic quest to get fit and make a fool out of myself in the process. Here are the remaining Wii Fit Plus games that will continued to be scored on exercise time, calories burned and what someone would say to you if they walked into the room while you were working out.

Obstacle Course: This is probably the most disappointing of all of the mini-games. It promises to be a real life, first person Super Mario Brothers. Run! Dodge swinging medicine balls like in the original American Gladiators! Jump! Well, try to jump because you can’t actually jump on the balance board without breaking it and the squat to jump action doesn’t work for me at all. I might jump, I might not, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Makes for a horrible experience and leaves me hoping for an American Gladiators video game. And the one with Nitro not that damn Wolf version. Exercise Time: 2 minutes, Calories Burned: 10, “Ooh, watch out for Bowser!”

Tilt City: Probably my favorite game of the whole bunch even though it really has no exercise component to it. Well, maybe that is the reason but hear me out. You hold the Wiimote in your hands while on the balance board and have to shift your hands and your balance to help guide colored balls into the correct buckets. Think of it as a giant game of Plinko with you controlling the plinks. For someone like me who has no coordination this is actually a fun, challenging exercise that helps me get my upper body, lower body and brain all working in sync. It probably looks silly but it is beneficial. Exercise Time: 2 minutes, Calories Burned: 5, “Shake that moneymaker.”

Rhythm Parade: Finally, an activity for those of us who feel that Advanced Step is not embarrassing enough. Now you get to be your very own drum major leading a parade. My fist problem is that I have to march in time with the rhythm, which requires that I, well, have rhythm. Also, the outfit your character is wearing is less than appealing. As you march you have to lift your arms in the air at the proper times to build a larger band. So all you do is march and fling your hands around wildly for a few minutes. You don’t even get to do that cool Penn State standing flip at the end. Well, I try to pull it off but it isn’t really recommended. Exercise Time: 3 minutes, Calories Burned: 17, “So how was that time at Band Camp?”

Big Top Juggling: I have made it clear in the past that one of my goals in life is to learn how to juggle. Well now I can learn how to juggle without having to actually juggle and I get to do it while standing on top of a ball! Or at least that is what my Mii is doing in this game that works on balance and hand eye coordination. This is another one that is more entertaining than it should be as I am really striving to improve my technique. That is what the Wii is best at, every once in a while you come across a game that you just want to conquer. Exercise Time: 2 minutes, Calories Burned: 7, “This would be so much cooler if it involved chainsaws.”

Skateboard Arena: Thankfully the typical synthetic pop is replaced in this game by Avril Lavigne’s “Sk8ter Boi”. Pretty basic as your goal is to skate around an arena, hitting objects for points and performing tricks. Steering is by leaning forward and back or, in my case, running into walls and hoping it points you in the right direction. Not too bad but nothing too memorable. Put this one in the category of “at least you aren’t embarrassed by it.” Still can’t touch the best skating game ever: “Skate or Die” on the Commodore 64. Exercise Time: 2 minutes, Calories Burned: 7 calories, “Where’s Poochie?”

Table Tilt Plus: A remake of a game from the original Wii Fit, which was a remake of Marble Madness to begin with. Using the balance board you move your marbles (and no, that is not meant to be a sexual innuendo) from one side of the board to the other avoiding the obstacles in the way. Another good game and one that teaches fine body control. Again, you aren’t going to become an athlete by doing this game but you might get a better sense of balance and given the challenges that I have staying upright that is a good thing. Exercise Time: 2 minutes, Calories Burned: 5, “This would be much cooler as pinball.”

Balance Bubble Plus: Another remake of a game with this one being the boy in the bubble without the whole John Travolta movie connections. In a game that never quite made much sense from a plot perspective you are in a bubble that must go through this winding river without touching the sides causing the bubble to burst. No, I do not understand how a bubble could withstand my weight but brushing up against a twig would break it. Enjoyable up to the point where you finish the course and then you never feel like playing it again. Exercise Time: 2 minutes, Calories Burned: 5, “I am concerned about any video games where bees are your mortal enemy.”

Basic Run Plus: The last game is yet another remake from the original version, which shows that they are completely lying about having new material. Here you run in place while your Mii runs outside on a path following a cat. I am not making this up; your guide is a kitty cat. Now I have known a few cats in my time and the last thing I would consider any of them to be is good jogging partners. Also, I was chided at for running too fast to start and then told I did not work hard enough when I finished. Seriously, if you want me to work out let me work out. Exercise Time: 2 minutes, Calories Burned: 10, “I still don’t understand why you don’t go outside and run.”

Final Tally: 17 minutes and 66 calories. Nothing close to a workout but more enjoyable than the first batch of games. The basic way to look at the Wii Fit franchise is that it will not make you an athlete but can probably help you keep your shape. Things like the yoga and strength training exercises are very good and will get you working. It is a really fun game though and I’ve been using it for two months now and anything that can hold my interest for that long has to be entertaining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. So the Nobel Peace Prize has officially rendered itself meaningless. Oh well, it's not like its a real Nobel Prize.

Anonymous said...

I recycle my beer bottles...which helps my community...which makes me a "community activist" - which means that I may one day win the prize myself. Fantastic.