Thursday, March 19, 2009

Meet George Jetson...

We now have a flying car. Or at least that is what I have gathered from checking out the internet headlines today. It took scientists long enough to build one. When I started my career as an enginner one of my primary goals was "design a flying car". Sure it would be impractical, dangerous and totally unnecessary but it would be super cool and that was before I installed the top of the line sound system. I'd even put hydraulics in it so it could drive, hop and fly. True, no one can now afford a flying car but it is nice to know that we have one.

Of course, the other internet news story is the tragic and altogether bizarre death of Natasha Richardson. It really does boggle the mind how a fall on a beginner's ski slope could end in someone dying but that is just one of those strange things about brain injuries. Something that seems totally innocuous at the time might be the trigger for a horrible event. It just makes me thank my lucky stars that despite my tendency to fall (and the fact that my bathroom floor in KC held a 2-0 record against me with two knockouts) I have never suffered any significant injury to my noggin. Given that my brain is what makes me unique and/or employable that is a very good thing.

Speaking of the internet, an interesting thing has happened to me this week. Since I am on my backup laptop and on dial up until I pick up a new one I have discovered something very interesting about my time management. Mainly, I now have a lot more free time on my hands. I've seriously gained an hour at least every night because I am not constantly checking my email or spending time on YouTube. Even bigger is that I am now avoiding Facebook and Facebook chat. While that is a wonderful way to stay in touch with people (and at times it is the only thing I do that can be considered social) it takes up an amazing amount of time on a daily basis. It is very interesting to just unplug for a few days and realize that you can live without being on Facebook every minute of the day. Or watching hilarious videos of cats riding Roombas.

That is going to be it for tonight as I want to go back to watching basketball. Enjoy the first day of spring! The long winter of our discontent is finally over. Now on to the spring of mild discomfort.

No comments: