Monday, March 23, 2009

And why don't they just name the place BW3 anyway?

Like everyone else I spent a lot of time this weekend watching basketball on television and therefore have much to say on the commercials that I was forced to watch over and over again. This is a yearly feature of the NCAA tournament as a handful of firms decide to buy up all the advertising spots and therefore innundate your subconscious with their sales pitches. The most famous of these is the free credit report singers who if I ever meet on the street will be accidentally pushed into traffic due to how many hours of my life have been wasted by having that jingle running through my brain.

This year’s winner seems to be the Buffalo Wild Wings commercial, which started out being rather funny and clever and now just annoys the hell out of me. They started out with a wonderful concept: basketball players running into objects and being hit in the groin. But on every subsequent viewing I begin to have more and more issues with the commercial. Am I to believe that every BW3 has the ability to influence the outcome of every game? What if one bar wants the game to go into overtime but the other wants it to end so they can watch the UFC fight in peace? Also, are you telling me that in a bar filled with men who have been drinking for hours that not one of them has money riding on the outcome of the game and thus would be incredibly pisssed that the bartender is screwing with them. Wouldn’t some guy who bet the under be going at the bartender’s jugular? And wouldn’t someone notice if players were being targeted by t-shirt cannons during a game? This has bugged me all weekend.

Well that and the NCAA commercial where the guy is performing a chemistry experiment with one hand while holding on to a gymnastic ring with the other. Mainly because I can’t figure out how one could hold their body like that ever. The girl hitting the tennis ball while designing a CAD diagram? Perfectly reasonable. But the gymnast is just silly.

In other pop culture news Ikea is going to be unveiling a new car this week. I am not making this story up. Ikea, best known for affordable furniture with funny names that you must assemble yourself while having three pieces left over, is going into the auto manufacturing business. First off, if there is an industry that I would want to enter right now it would be the auto industry. Second, I have an unnerving feeling that this car will be made out of wood. However, it is nice to know that all repairs could be made simply by using an Allen wrench.

Finally, on a bit more serious note, can everyone just take a second and enjoy life and understand how blessed they are to just be a part of this world. I think with all of the hustle and static and out and out noise of our everyday life we completely miss the fact that we live on a pretty amazing planet with wonderful people surrounding us every day of our lives. I just found out today that another old friend of mine had passed away at much too young of an age and this has happened to me way more often in the past year than I have ever wanted it to. So just take a moment to appreciate those around you, tell them how much they mean to you, and take a few breaths and enjoy the wonder about you. Because it can all disappear and it would be a shame to miss it.

No comments: