Monday, January 05, 2009

And another thing...

Things that are on my mind and / or upsetting me at the present moment.

1) I can understand the rash of announcements on television regarding the rollout of digital television. I have no issues with digital signals and advancing the level of technology in the typical home even if the rollout plan is the most flawed idea in existence. For example, every spot for the DTV converters recommends that people visit a website for more information. Question: If you need a digital converter what are the odds that you have internet access much less know how to use it? You by definition do not have cable so you are probably down a little lower on the technology food chain. I can’t wait for the day after the switch when all of the news stories are about the millions of people who cannot watch the news stories that are about them.

2) I was cold when I went to bed last night so I had socks on (it was either that or wear my footie pajamas). When I woke up in the middle of the night I realized that I now was only wearing one sock. I have no idea where the other one went, why I removed it or how I was able to unconsciously remove one and not the other. I am greatly troubled by this.

3) Thanks to my lack of sleep I’ve spent most of the evening lying on the couch listening to the Texas – Ohio State game. I gain enough energy to focus on the television right when they show the Texas marching band playing Stairway to Heaven. Dear God how I hate that song. I can’t imagine what it would be like to be in the crowd and realize not only am I going to have to sit here for the next ten minutes and listen to it but hear it performed by a marching band as well.

4) This has always bothered me: Do people who join marching bands in college choose their schools primarily on the quality of the band uniforms? Because I have watched a lot of college football and hence a lot of bands over the years and the quality of the outfits is really the best measure of quality that I have ever seen. If they have a bad uniform the band is probably sucky. Plus, it’s not like there is a national ranking for marching bands. Would someone choose Texas just because they look good in that weird off brown of theirs?

5) Rumor on the street is that My Beloved Lindsay has broken up with Sam the DJ. I now move up one more spot on the depth chart. Patience, as I continually remind myself, is a virtue. Plus, Jennifer Love Hewitt just broke up with her fiancée so hey, my odds just doubled overnight.

6) I always work the week of New Year’s because it is the easiest week in the world to be at the office. No one is there, traffic is incredibly light and you save your vacation for when you would actually enjoy it. I mean, why take a day off when you can get paid to leave early? But what this means is that the Monday after the holiday is the worst day ever in terms of traffic. Did anyone else have to deal with just a horrible mess of cars this morning? It’s like everyone forgot how to drive because they didn’t have to go to the office for a few days.

7) Is there anything more anticlimactic now than the college football bowl games? Even though the only game that matters still hasn’t been played no one really cares about it. We’ve already gone past New Year’s and the Wild Card round of the NFL playoffs. Hell, I even got to watch my outdoor hockey game. I just don’t have a desire to watch two teams that I haven’t cared about for more than a month. One of the reasons that there is no playoff is that it would stretch out the season, which is what they do anyway.

No comments: