Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Star, star, teach me how to shine

So I saw Alison Krauss and Union Station at Starlight Theater last night. As its name suggests, Starlight Theater is a nice, outdoor amphitheater in Kansas City. Typically I don’t go to many shows at outdoor theaters because, well, you know, that implies that I would have to spend several hours breathing fresh air. Seeing the sun for more than fifteen minutes a day is a rarity for me, thanks to my working in an office where I can’t even see a window if I was standing tall with a pair of binoculars.

Still, it was a beautiful night to sit outside and listen to some great music. Alison performs bluegrass though I still can’t bring myself to call it true bluegrass. It wanders into adult contemporary much of time, though it is adult contemporary with fiddle and dobro (in the same way that the Dixie Chicks are a pop band with a country base). Musically though, they are probably one of the tightest bands that I’ve ever seen. I’m not sure if I heard one misstep the entire night and they can coordinate everything with just a glance and a nod of the head. It was quite impressive.

Alison is an amazing performer and she reminds me of a question I posed to long time blog contributor Erik back when we spent many a night getting drunk at the old flower shop. The question is rather simple, “If you could be married to Alison Krauss or Shania Twain who would you choose?” And as always, when I say marriage I mean to death due you part, you will spend every moment of the rest of your life with this person, to the point that you will be sitting in matching recliners watching Matlock: The Next Generation night after night.

It’s an interesting question and it tells a lot about someone. Do you choose beauty over brains? Do you take obvious riches if you know that you will have to spend the rest of your life with a diva? Do you take pleasure now or defer it until the future. My choice in this situation has always been Alison Krauss. While not listed as one of the most beautiful women in the world she is still quite pretty and she just seems to be the type of person you would want to grow old with. Incredibly talented, nice, sweet, just the type of woman who would make you smile knowing that at the end of every day you’d get to see her.

(If I remember correctly, Erik chose Shania for a brilliant, if more obscure, reason. His view is that he couldn’t deal with being with Alison knowing that she is more talented at everything than he will ever be. At least with Shania you are assured of being the best musician in the family.)

It is an incredible show if you ever get a chance to see it. No fancy lights or explosions or even sing along moments. Just beautiful music being played as well as it can ever be played. While I’ll always be happier when I’m sitting in a small club, listening to someone with an acoustic guitar singing as if their soul is going to explode if they don’t express what is in their heart, sometimes you just need to sit under the stars and listen to beauty. It doesn’t make for a bad night at all.

No comments: