Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Sixteen Candles Part Deux

Maybe it is just me but I am fascinated by the fact that when severe storms roll through Kansas City every channel goes into full “Kill Storm 2005” mode. Regular programming, forget that, we’re just going to show radar images for the next three hours. I really shouldn’t be this flippant since it is Kansas and tornadoes are a very real threat but I just find it fascinating. Where else would Law and Order be preempted? If you want to know why I can't provide you with a recap of tonight's episode of Beauty and the Geek, this is why. That said, given that this was a vicious little storm and last year we got hit with a storm that caused every street around my apartment to flood I should probably pay a little more attention to the news. Trust me, if and when I move to New Orleans I will take the hurricane warnings very seriously.

To give a sense of where my life is at right now, I just received a CD that I had shipped to me from New Zealand. Yes, since I have listened to apparently every CD that has been printed in the U.S. I am now sending out to random nations for music. Actually, it is from The Brunettes, the really funny and cool band that opened for The Shins a month ago. It is a fun little disc. Not as good as the live show but neat nonetheless. But it does say something about me that this year I have ordered books from London and music from Auckland.

I think that I have recovered from my vacation. A part of me is still down in the Big Easy but for the most part I am back in work mode. It is fun to see just how much of a struggle it is to get back into the grind of going to the office after you’ve been out for a couple of days. I really wasn’t out that long, only two days after a holiday weekend, but today felt like it was Sunday. Plus, this was one of those vacations where you come back and you need another vacation to recover from the trip. A couple of late nights in a row followed by a long plane flight just leaves you feeling out of sorts for the rest of the week.

As you can tell, I am a bit at a loss for a topic tonight. Other than the fact that Molly Ringwald is thinking about doing a sequel to Sixteen Candles, which is probably the biggest news that I’ve read all week. I’m not sure what the movie would be about other than “Here are the characters twenty years later.” They’re not even that memorable of characters. Before Sunset worked as a sequel because you were interested in what happened after the end of Before Sunrise (and I’m still trying to figure out what happened at the end of Before Sunset). But I don’t know if anyone is that intrigued about Sixteen Candles other than Molly Ringwald fanboys. They’re out there, you can count on that fact.

That’s all for now. More news tomorrow. (Oh and yes I did notice that in rereading the posting where I request an editor that there were missing words and misspellings. That just proves my point.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude if you worry about KC flooding after a rain storm then NO is not the place you want to be unless you have a several pairs of hip-waders.

Anonymous said...

do you find some kind of poetic justice that Anthony Michael Hall went on to become a long-lived quasi-brat pack, B-list actor while the guy who played Jake in 16 candles never did anything else in the biz and became a carpenter?

...not to mention the other geeks in 16 candles such as John Cusack and the guy who played Kenneth Wormser in Can't Buy Me love.

Anonymous said...

EC, I'm sitting in the middle of my first hurricane season down here. Its weird. I've asked 'so what does "hurricane season" constitute?' The answer? 'Well it rains a lot and nobody notices until it looks like one might hit us and then you fill the bathtub with water (backup drinking water I guess...I think I'd rather take my chances) and play a lot of board games. You get several days off work and sometimes we just go to bars and drink all day.'