Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Continuing the constant struggle


There’s a slight problem to my using a wall mount to solve my “get the television out of my bedroom” problem. See, the only place where I could put a wall mount in my office is directly over the bed (since it also serves as my spare bedroom). This would mean that anyone lying in my spare bedroom would trust their life with my carpentry skills. I really doubt there would be any takers. However, I do like the image of the Sony of Damocles. Just the way to update mythology for the new millennium.

The NBA Draft was last night and I watched about five minutes of it. Growing up I would watch every pick. It was the ultimate end to the basketball season where you would get to find out where all your favorite college players would be next year. Now you get to find out which high school player you never heard of is going to ride the bench and try to play “guess the nationality” with the foreign players. It just takes the fun out of it. Two of my Illini (Deron Williams and Luther Head) went in the first round. It was a surprise to see Luther go in the first round, I honestly didn’t think he was going to get drafted. He’s a good point guard but I’m not sure if he is able to play big minutes in the NBA. Daniel Ewing from Duke went early in the second round under the rule of “anyone who plays four years at Duke has to get drafted.”

A fun Kansas City/NBA story. We broke ground on the new Sprint Center last week as Kansas City has finally decided to build a new arena. However, it is an arena without tenants. Well, we have a commitment for an Arena Football team, which is cool. Plus, it will probably cause bands like U2 to stop playing Omaha instead of Kansas City. But the big thing is our hope for either an NHL or an NBA franchise. Let’s see, the NHL does not technically exist at the moment so we could probably get a franchise on the cheap in a dying league. Or we can maybe steal an NBA team, which is the plan. Of course, the NBA front office is aware of this and decided to humor us by sending a league representative to the ground breaking ceremony. A WNBA league representative who focused on the possibility of getting a WNBA franchise. I’ve been trying to figure out what the analogy is here. It’s like the worst rejection possible.

Ok, and as promised yesterday, a quick synopsis of Krystof Kieslowski’s Three Colors Trilogy. The three films Blue, White and Red symbolize the three colors of the French flag as well as the concepts of liberty, equality and fraternity. Each film is it’s own separate piece though there are two scenes that overlap the three films (along with the closing scene of Red that ties everything together). The focal point of each film are the three French actresses (Juliette Binoche, Julie Delpy and Irene Jacob) who play the lead roles with varying degrees of grace. One of the neatest aspects of the films is that each work has its own visual tone that ties to the title of the film. Blue has water imagery while White is filmed in an almost washed out type of brightness, including one scene where you can barely make out Julie Delpy due to the light. It’s best to watch the films in order though it’s not required. If you only want to watch one I’d suggest White because it is funnier and lighter in spirit than the other two (especially Blue, which begins on an incredibly somber note).

Of course, the real reason I’m writing about this is to try out Blogger’s new feature that should allow me to add a picture directly to my post. Hopefully, for all of you who still wonder just who the hell is Julie Delpy and why is EC so adamant about discussing how incredible she is, at least you’ll now have a picture of who I’m referring to.

Of course, now having tried the feature I've discovered that the picture will only appear at the top of the post and I'm not rewriting this thing so the picture at the top is Julie. Blogger is powered by Google, whose stock price is through the roof, but still won't let me put pictures where I want them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

liberte! egalite! fraternite! je m'en fous! ou son les coquettes???

Anonymous said...

I like Steve Kerr's analysis where he says which players may finally realize their dream of playing professional basketball ... with the Roanoke Dazzle in the NBDL.