Tuesday, June 28, 2005

As dumb as I look...

(DVD recommendation for the week: If you are like me and grew up watching pro wrestling in the 80’s (or more specifically, if you are one of my brothers), you owe it to yourself to get a copy of the DVD chronicling the career history of The Road Warriors. It is incredibly good going through their entire history (my God, they had a copy of their match against Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher on there) and hitting on all of their highs and lows. One thing that I am happy they included is the squash matches they had against the scrubs on the old TBS Saturday Night show. Those are still some of my favorite wrestling memories where you would start with two no name guys in the ring looking scared to death, then you would hear about three seconds of the Road Warriors music, then they would kick the ever living crap out of the guys for two minutes, win the match and do the interview. Plus, my favorite pro wrestling quote of all time is in reference to the Road Warriors. Courtesy of Arn Anderson “Growing up my daddy taught me three things. You don’t spit into the wind. You don’t stand on Superman’s cape. And you don’t fight the Road Warriors in Chicago.”)

(One day Winnie the Pooh references, next day in depth analysis of pro wrestling. Tomorrow I will bring you my detailed analysis of Krystopf Kieslowski’s Three Colors Trilogy. Battling the Current: you never know what you’re going to get.)

Ok, did something last night that might prove my claim that a lot of people have called me smart but no one has ever called me intelligent. See, I’ve been reading recently that you shouldn’t have a television in your bedroom since it messes with your sleeping patterns. Since I haven’t been getting up as early as I’d like I was more than happy to blame the television set. As opposed to, I don’t know, getting a second alarm clock or throwing away the remote or just getting my ass out of bed when the alarm goes off. So after a lot of thinking over the weekend I decided that I would move my tv into my office.

That required me to move a bookcase full of books, take apart a stereo and a DVD player, and move an entertainment stand around my apartment. As I’m doing this last step it dawns on me, “I wonder why I didn’t do this when I was moving things around my apartment nine months ago.” Then I put the entertainment stand in my office and realized why. The damn thing doesn’t fit in my office unless I want to guarantee my slamming my knee into the side of the thing every time I come back from a bar and want to check my email. I am apparently a cut twice, measure never type of guy. So I had to spend the rest of the night putting everything back exactly the way it was before. It’s at times like this that I remember the immortal words of Homer Simpson, “If this teaches you anything son it’s never try.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy solution? 2 words: Wall mount

you can pick up the shelf/bracket at any Best Buy/CompUSA for about $80 and a studfinder at Home Depot or any hardware store for $10-30.

click here for link to wall mount

Anonymous said...

$10 to $30 for a studfinder? Forget that! All you need is a SMCer and $3 worth of beer.