Thursday, December 30, 2004

New Year's Eve Eve

Ok, so it’s New Year’s Eve Eve and I am stuck in my annual dilemma. Unless something changes quickly, I will be spending another New Year’s Eve alone. That is a bit of a problem. It’s not like being alone on Valentine’s Day, which is awful in and of itself but at least that is typically like a Tuesday night where you can lock yourself in your apartment, listen to The Smiths, and pretty much wail on about your miserable life. Or maybe that’s just me. But anyway, tomorrow is both New Year’s Eve and a Friday night and I have no idea what I’m going to be doing.

Adding to the problem is the fact that it is amateur night and I turned professional a long time ago. I didn’t pull a Lebron James and go pro out of high school but it was pretty close. So while hanging out with a couple of fun drunks is cool, hanging out with a whole bar full of them, including a whole bunch of people who act as if they have never tasted alcohol before (compounded by the fact that they are most likely from Kansas and have in fact, never tasted alcohol before) and it doesn’t make for the most fun experience possible. So we have to factor that into the equation as well.

(Oh, and there might be cover charges and despite the fact that I know enough bartenders I still might have to pay and I have a slight problem with that because this is you know, Kansas City and not New York. It’s not like I’m paying for the chance of running into Paris Hilton or anything. Though there is a reality show that needs to be filmed.)

So, I’m going to leave it up to the readers of the blog to throw out there suggestions for what I should do tomorrow night. Do I go out to the bars and try to have fun by myself? Do I look for someone by themselves at midnight and hope for the best? Do I see a concert, which will at least make me feel a little better about myself? Or do I stay home and wallow in self-pity? Wow, that last option sounds so exciting, doesn’t it. Anyway, I’m open to any and all suggestions. Go nuts, if it is interesting enough I just might try it.

Oh well, I’m still going to be going out in a few hours and relaxing away the last few hours of 2004. It’s a year that I won’t be complaining to see go by. Next year is going to be a lot better for me. I’ve just got a good feeling about it.

(Oh and a preview of what is going to be posted over the next few days. I’m going to be posting my 2004 concert reviews and 2004 book reviews, a list of everything that I have seen and read over the past year. Should be an interesting list. Plus, the profile will finally be updated. Should be cool.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suggestions for NYE...you are right on the money with the comment about amateur night -- the bars won't be much fun for a first-ballot hall of famer-to-be like me (hey if you get to compare yourself to LeBron James then I get to compare myself to Michael Jordan). my activity of choice would be a party at someone's house/apartment, but since no one I know is throwing one this year, I face a similar dilemma. NYE is the most overrated night of the year. luckily you live within walking distance of the bars so you don't have to worry about the fact that it is also the night that carries the highest probability of getting into an alcohol-related car accident and/or a DUI. to make driving home from the bars even more fun the weather report here has been rain and heavy fog for the past few days with tomorrow not much different.

so without further ado here are my suggestions:

- watch Miami vs. Florida in the Peach Bowl. its one of the best matchups of this bowl season, and you will be hangover-free for the games the next day.

- treat it like a night at the Backer on a football weekend: go out early (before it gets crowded and they start charging a cover at the door), sit at the bar and have several stiff drinks. at about 11PM when the place gets too loud/crowded/hot, order a glass of Sambuca on the rocks. drink it, go home, pass out at 12:01AM.

- hack into the power grids and cause a momentary city-wide blackout just when the clock strikes midnight.

- buy several cans of Campbell's Chunky soup (make sure to get the ones with the pull top) and bring them to a bar. it looks just like vomit when you pour out a can or two all over the floor of the bathroom, in the middle of the dance floor, on a barstool, etc. then blame it on some rookie drinker.

- buy Chutes Too Narrow by The Shins and listen to it ad infinitum until you too agree that it is brilliant and one of the best CDs to come out in recent years.