Sunday, November 27, 2005

Job hunting...

As always, life is so much better when it is organzied in a numbered list…

1) One day I will figure out which of these is the more amazing event: that I actually posted on Thanksgiving night, that someone posted a comment on Thanksgiving night or that instead of writing about the importance of being with family or the traditions of the day or even how Roy Williams’ meaningless touchdown helped clinch a win for my fantasy team I instead spend a page writing about Jessica Simpson. I guess I really know what is important in the world.

2) Just so people will stop asking me: no, I am not the guy that Jeff Tweedy is yelling at on Wilco’s new live album. Sure, I have picked up a bit of fame in the Chicago and KC music scenes and the alt-country scene in general but basically all it’s resulted in is “Hey, you’re that guy.” Part of me really wonders what would happen if I decided to become Beatle Bob and spend the rest of my life just following bands. Somehow I would place that as one of those “I’ll go broke but it will be fun getting there” experiences.

3) Started reading Nick Hornby’s “Fever Pitch” today. Note: this is the original book and has nothing, I repeat nothing, to do with the movie. I refuse to be associated with Jimmy Fallon in any way, shape or form. Anyway Nick Hornby, who also wrote High Fidelity, apparently lives my life better than I do. Or at least we are living the same life and he just writes about it much better than I ever will. Seriously, I should just give up now and let him take over. For instance, here is his discussion on being a fan “The truth is this: For amazingly large chunks of the day, I am a moron.” No matter how hard I try, I don’t think that I will ever be able to touch that.

4) The following has to be the greatest help wanted advertisement ever written. I was flipping through the back pages of The Pitch (the local free weekly newspaper) and came across one of those ads that you find in the backpages of your local free weekly newspaper. You know, the back pages where if you actually read them you find out that there is no way in the world you could in any way be considered strange. So, the fine establishment Legs has placed the following help wanted ad. And I swear I am making none of this up. “Dancers wanted. No house tip out. No D.J. tip out. No house mom tip out. Minimum wage guaranteed. Receive check every week. Health Insurance. Dental Plan. 401K. Profit Sharing. Legs (an equal opportunity employer)

5) I’m just going to let that set in for a little bit.

6) Ok, what does it say about your life when a strip club is apparently offering better benefits than your employer? And is this the most progressive strip club in the existence of the planet? I mean, they are offering a 401K for crying out loud. Of course, this just means that corporate beuracracy is now encroaching on every aspecet of our existence. In all honesty, that is a better deal than Wal-Mart offers its employees and they are the biggest employer on the planet. I saw the ad and didn’t know whether to laugh or cheer.

The five random CDs of the week
1) Mike Doughty “Haughty Melodic”
2) Howie Day “Australia”
3) Cowboy Junkies “200 More Miles”
4) Buick MacKane “The Pawn Shop Years”
5) Dave Matthews Band “Under the Table and Dreaming”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A strip club with a dental plan? Brilliant! Bad teeth can really ruin what would otherwise be a good lapdance.

How many strippers do you think elect to contribute the maximum allowable pre-tax amount to their 401(k)?