Sunday, November 21, 2004

Dream Road Rules Cast

Ok, Super Dave upped the ante again and has now pushed for my dream Road Rules cast. Amazingly, this is a lot tougher than the Real World cast because there are a lot of strong people that I’d like to get in the cast and there are simply not enough parts to go around. Plus, it’s been a little more difficult to do research on this one. Everyone has websites detailing each individual Real World cast but no one does that for Road Rules. Here’s the breakdown.

Challenge: Travel around the U.S./Canada/Mexico doing adventures/challenges and if you succeed at all of them you will win the handsome reward. None of this silly voting people off after you fail a challenge, which turns the show into a bad version of Survivor. I want it to be more of what it was in the first few seasons, which had a lot of cast members bonding as if it truly was one wild road trip, with just a dash of The Amazing Race tossed in.

The cast. First, the guys.

EC: I’m going to be 21 or 22 again in this one. This at least has me at an age before my career ending injuries would disqualify me from rappelling from buildings and the rest of the more extreme stunts. I’ll also need to have gone through a six to nine month session with a personal trainer to bulk up ahead of time. I mean, I didn’t have the gut back then that I do now but I still would need to chisel the body some.

Timmy (RR: USA): The ultimate road trip guy. One of those guys who has that great combination of being laid back and funny but when the competition is on he is as intense as anyone. A guy who lives his life to experience anything to the fullest. Basically, this is the type of guy that I would like to be when I grow up. Two other reasons: 1) He’s had a great post RR career. Was hosting a college sports show on Fox for a while, which essentially consisted of him going to different campuses and joking around with people and now he does a show for the History Channel that has him just going around and doing things like competing in demolition derbies. 2) He pulled off what I consider to be the greatest reality tv moment of all time. He led the Road Rules cast into the Real World Miami house, convinced the Real World cast that they were a cleaning crew, distracted the group long enough to have someone steal the 8 ball from the pool table and got out before getting caught. That was just inspired.

Theo (RR: Maximum Velocity): I have to include the ultimate swamp rat. Every once in a while MTV will include the non-MTV type and Theo fit that bill. From rural Louisiana, here was this tough, brash, naïve guy who had the best side comments to the camera. I also have to give him credit for his humor in every Road Rules/Real World Challenge, especially in the Gauntlet where he ended every sentence with “Holla”. To the point that I started trying to do it without any of the needed coolness.

Special Honorable Mention: Christian (RR: USA): If I wasn’t including me in the cast Christian makes it without a second thought. The kick ass Norwegian who could do any challenge thrown his way, drank all the time, and seemed to enjoy every minute of the event. He’s that type of guy you’d want with you for any project you’d undertake in life, you knew that he could do it and if not at least you would have fun in the process.

And on the female side of the equation…

Emily (RR: USA): Get the sense that I enjoyed the USA cast? Here was a girl from central Illinois, not far away from where I went to school, who was truly doing the “first time I ever went somewhere that I wasn’t on a farm” experience. Sweet, smart, cute as hell, someone you’d want to date on sight. Of course, in the RW/RR challenges it has since been shown that she is tough as nails and completely ruthless, which I think makes me want to date her even more.

Holly (RR: Latin America): I might be one of the few people on the planet who likes Holly, most of the websites I’ve checked out always bad talk her. I thought she was cute and probably the best athlete and toughest competitor that they’ve ever had on the female side of the ledger. There really wasn’t anything that she couldn’t do and she always seemed to be enjoying life. Works for me.

Tara (RR: Northern Trail): This was another of those ultimate RR casts, where everyone seemed to be super cool. I’m a huge fan of anyone who goes into these shows and doesn’t go to start drama or try to make themselves famous. I like the people who are honest and go, “Wow, I get to travel around and not have a real job. This is going to be brilliant.” That was the entire Northern Trail cast and Tara was the best of the bunch.

Honorable mentions: Anne (Northern Trail) for looking exactly like Nancy Kerrigan and Sarah for her role in the RW/RR Gauntlet challenge, which is probably the number two best reality tv moment. Her team sends her to the Gauntlet 4 times hoping that she would lose so that she would be thrown off the team and each time she just keeps on fighting harder and harder and winning. And in her last contest her team suddenly gets behind her and cheering for her as if she is the ultimate MVP. You really couldn’t touch that drama of watching her win one last time and knowing that she proved everyone wrong. Just awesome.

No comments: