Monday, November 29, 2010

A weekend to forget

And I’m back again after a slight trip into the unknown and some rather bad days. Ever have a period where absolutely everything seemed to go wrong at once? Well, that has been this entire year. This weekend just seemed to live up to it. What is amazing is that what I am going to write about isn’t even the worst thing that happened this weekend.

First off, I’ve spent most of the past few days fighting off a nasty stomach bug. You know, one of those fun ones where you spend much of the day in the bathroom and the rest of the time wondering who hit you in the stomach with a 2 by 4. I still don’t know quite what I caught but it was nastier than anything I have dealt with in recent years. Not too many people end up losing six pounds over Thanksgiving but this was that bad. I’ve luckily recovered and now have started to feel like myself again.

(By the way, this makes me really think that the only way those contestants on the Biggest Loser put up those weight loss numbers in a week is through massive dehydration. There is no way in the world that one can knock off that much weight in fat that quickly even if they spent all day exercising. While it is great that I am near my weight loss target for the year I right now need to put on weight or at least drink a ton of Gatorade.)

Add to that I had the wonderful scenario of having my car very nearly die on me. Technically, it just struggled to start mightily. First dealt with this at the airport when I came home where I thought that maybe having the car out in the cold for a few days made it a little sluggish. Sluggish then turned to almost being unable to start to today where when it started my fuel gauge read empty even though I had a quarter of a tank left. Ended up I had a nearly dead battery and had to go and get that replaced and was just happy that I was able to drive the car in as opposed to having it towed in. Given that my car is only a year old this is insanely annoying.

Like I said that wasn’t anywhere near the worst thing to happen this weekend but it just gives you a sense of how my year is going. With just one more month to go I would really like to just get out of 2010 and into 2011. I know that it theoretically won’t make much of a difference but I would really like to see a new page on the calendar. Maybe it will help things out greatly.

(I did have a great time going home for Thanksgiving and seeing my family. It is tough when you live so far away from everyone. It gets lonely out here in Delaware. And boring, but I’m pretty sure that fact surprises no one.)

No comments: