Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Activate shields


Yahoo headline of the day: Asteroids barely avoid colliding with earth.

You know what, I don’t ask much of my president. Sure I would like an economy that doesn’t suck, a foreign policy with some semblance of direction and a belief that one day we will be able to say the word politician without using a tone of disgust but those aren’t really requirements. All I ask is that the president prevent an asteroid from slamming into the earth. And for crying out loud, Obama almost screwed that one up too. Seriously, shouldn’t we at least keep Bruce Willis on call for these situations?

Anyway, since it was my birthday last week I might as well give my annual post on what it feels like to get older and older. I’m 37 now, an age that it many ways fits me but still makes me feel damn old. I think I’ve been telling people that I’m 37 for two years now but I would at least like to think that I am in my early thirties. I really hate the fact that mid-life is approaching rapidly especially from a statistical perspective.

What I find interesting is that even with my age things like high school and college still hold some pretty major significance for me even though those events took place fifteen or twenty years ago. Think about that; we are talking decades plural here if I want to think about being a geek in my freshmen year of high school. No one remembers those events but me yet they still weigh on decisions that I make now. I doubt that I am the only one who thinks like this but it is pretty fascinating.

That said, I am finally acting more like an adult. I’m engaged to the woman of my dreams and want nothing more than to marry her and spend the rest of our lives together. My days of being the last one out of the bar are behind me and I am happy for that. The stories are great but I am glad to have avoided becoming that old guy at the end of the bar. I’m doing well at my job and I’m close with my family and while this past year has had some of the toughest moments of my life I can’t in anyway complain about the hand that life has dealt me.

I’m still working at becoming a better me. If being with Kim has taught me anything it is that I am in no way as perfect as I imagine myself to be. I seemed to have become oblivious to the fact that I can be arrogant or obnoxious or selfish or for a lack of a better term, a complete asshole. Those aren’t my main personality traits but they are there and for years I simply ignored them or hid them under my cynical veneer. I’m trying to change that part of me because it is not who I want to be. That might be one of the main reasons why I am with Kim: she makes me want to be the best version of myself I can possibly be.

It’s tough realizing you are getting old. Even staying up until 11 to write is a challenge now. Various body parts hurt much more than they should and I really need to get my cholesterol checked. But I look back at 37 years on this planet and I’m pretty damn proud at what I have done with my time and I think I am just getting started.

1 comment:

Foodie said...

I love Kim! She sounds f-ing awesome. And I'm so glad you guys have each other. Amen.