Monday, April 18, 2005

Covering the Van

As always, when I have a lot on my mind but no single thread to tie it all together (or when I’m too lazy to think of one), it’s time to break out the numbered lists once more. One of these days I’ll start using bullet points and the entire world will be thrown upside down.

1) To the person who commented yesterday with their MP3 playlist, there is a weird case of synchronicity going on here. Wayne Toups version of “Tupelo Honey” was my sister’s wedding song. Which makes it incredible that anyone else would randomly bring up that song and write about it. Unless of course the comment was made by my sister and/or my brother-in-law in which case all I can say is the gift is in the mail, I promise. So what if it is ten plus years late.

2) I’m still trying to understand how Lindsey Lohan is rumored to be going out with Christian Slater. How in the world did they meet? Was Heathers her favorite film when she was what, five? I will say that this does make Christian the early leader for the Comeback Playa of the Year award. Seriously, when was the last time that you heard anyone mention him. Quick, name the last film you saw him in. Yep, either Robin Hood or Very Bad Things (for those of us who spend too much time watching Comedy Central).

3) Though no one other than me will care, I did finally finish reading On The Road last week. Yes, it took me almost four months to finish a book that I was told that I could read in a weekend. Until the last one hundred pages I just could not get into the thing. It is amazing to think that fifty years ago you could just hitchhike around the country without worrying about a thing. Today you barely ever see a hitchhiker and you certainly would never pick one up and drive across rural America with one. Just a sign that the times have changed. I’m still not a big Kerouac fan but I’ll always remember his line in The Dharma Bums “You can’t fall off a mountain, you fool.” Think about it.

4) Ok, I’ve mentioned the band Superargo here before. I’ve seen them once and given that they were an opening act and I’ve probably seen a hundred bands since I moved out here the fact that I can remember huge portions of their set is pretty astounding. It was creative and out there and I’m not sure if I could call it music but it was definitely performance art (and I mean that in a good way). So, when I read the following article in the Pitch you could understand my disbelief. http://www.pitch.com/issues/2005-04-14/music/wayward.html I know that meaningless violence will always exist but this is just unbelievable. What makes it worse is that this happened about a mile from my office in what I’ve always been told is one of the richest counties in the country. One day we’ll all realize that the world would be a lot better if we were all nice to one another for a change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

EC -
that was me who included my current playlist at the bottom.

- Super

Anonymous said...

oh... and today's playlist:

(I brought cds to work today instead of mp3s)

Son Volt - Trace
Weezer - Pinkerton
Mazzy Star - Among My Swan*
Notre Dame Band w/Officer Tim McCarthy - May I Have Your Attention Please**

* inspiration for the "Songs To Sulk To" compilation idea
** yes, this CD does exist. I got it off of the ND band website. Its got a state trooper telling safety puns, the ND standards, and covers of such great Backer hits such as "December '63 (Oh What A Night)," "All Night Long," and "867-5309/Jenny."

Anonymous said...

Hey-

This is your brother-in-law. I didn't post the list with 'Tupelo Honey', but did just about fall off my chair when I read it.

Good taste, 'Super'!! And good memory EC. Do you remember seeing Wayne at Woodridge-fest (whatever it is called) and talking to him afterward about playing the wedding? Then that wicked-ass storm hit and just about blew us all to NOLA.

Now where's our gift? (Kidding!! I'm kidding!!)