Thursday, April 21, 2005

Closing out another week...

Just a couple of random thoughts to run out the week…

1) Why does American Idol get covered like a sporting event? I’m serious, the results were shown on cnn.com today. It’s just a talent show, I don’t remember Star Search getting this much publicity and it had Sinbad for crying out loud. The one interesting moment of the year so far has been when the contestants were asked to choose a song from the year that they were born and one contestant chose Pat Benetar’s “Love is a Battlefield.” Which, given that I remember watching the video when that song first came out, made me feel really old. But what amazes me is that if you had an entire year’s worth of songs to choose them would anyone in their right mind pick “Love is a Battlefield.” Pat Benetar wouldn’t choose that song.

2) It’ll be fascinating to see who is more interested in the day to day status of Nomar’s groin: Cubs fans or Mia Hamm.

3) One of my favorite bands (based solely on their name) is playing in town this week: And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead. Any band with that name has got to be good. Other great band names that I’ve stumbled across in my life our Morning Forty Federation, The Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash, Kato the Houseboy, and the classic Eve’s Plum.

4) Coolest video game coming out this month is Lego Star Wars. It’s Star Wars if Star Wars was made out of Lego figures. I’m not making this up, I’m pretty sure this is at Best Buy right now. I mean, it’s like when I bought the Lego Obi-Wan figure and had it fight the Lego Darth Maul figure but now it’s on my TV. I mean, when I was a kid and bought the Lego figures, it’s not like I’m collecting the entire set or anything…

5) Still, what I would give to have an unopened Millennium Falcon. I’m still upset that I never had one of those as a kid. Had a Death Star though even though it makes no sense that a Space Station would have a trash compactor when all it would need to do is eject the waste out into space. And it definitely would need a creature living inside, which would be crushed if they used a standard trash compactor design. Not that I’ve, you know, written articles on the logic of the movie or anything….

No comments: