Sunday, May 06, 2012

Wasting the next morning away

I was talking with Kim about this earlier today and we both came to the same conclusion; it is pretty amazing how in a few short years your body can change. Mainly with regards to how quickly you can recover from a late night out with little sleep. I will be the first to say that in the past five years my tolerance for lost sleep has changed completely.
When I lived in Kansas City much of my time was spent going to concerts or competing in bar trivia contests both of which resulted in some rather late nights. Yes, bar trivia contests can run late into the evening as once you start challenging people on their knowledge of state capitols you really can’t stop until one of you is lying on the ground unconscious. This meant that I would occasionally go to work with much less than eight hours of sleep (sometimes as little as four). Despite the fact that I was caffeine free for my time in Kansas City (I was Straight Edge in that sense) I still could be a productive citizen on that little sleep. Today though that has completely changed.
Now if I am up late watching television I can barely get going the next day. If I was up due to my mind running on whatever subject is in my head at the moment, which can range from work to rewriting pro wrestling pay per views so that my new wealthy villain Count De Monet becomes world champion, it is even worse. I’m not even getting into what happens on those occasions where I decide to relive my time as the guy at the end of the bar. I feel off for days after those nights. It is like my body can’t take it anymore.
That is one of those points of growing older that I did not really fully comprehend. I knew that it would happen one day but I thought that it would be when I was fifty or something. I’ve realized that I am basically closer to retirement than I am to high school at this point in time but in my mind I cannot bring myself to view life that way. I still feel like the high school kid in my head but my body no longer can keep up. Though I am working to repair that. More on that effort tomorrow.
Best of 120 Minutes: Speaking of high school let’s listen to some Social Distortion.

No comments: